Rained On by Emily Owen

 Let me tell you about the cloakroom.
As an opening line, I’m not sure the above is up there with ‘It is a truth universally acknowledged’ (Pride and Prejudice) or ‘There was no possibility of taking a walk that day’ (Jane Eyre) or even ‘We’re Going on a Bear Hunt (um, We’re Going on a Bear Hunt), but this blog does indeed begin in a cloakroom.

When I was a child, Bibles were kept on a shelf in the cloakroom. Being by the front door, it was easy to grab a Bible during the few-minutes-late dash out of the house on a Sunday morning.
One day, however, it was decided for us that the Bibles should find a new home.
My dad, reaching for his Bible, realised it wasn’t on the shelf. Nor was it on the floor. Nor was it hiding among the coats. The Bible had managed to take a high dive from the shelf, straight into the toilet (clean water = unmitigated gratitude). I can still remember Dad holding up a Bible, the lower half of which was wet. I can remember the concern and sympathy the rest of the family showed him. I recall that none of us giggled. At all. Not once. Especially not my sisters and me.

The day Dad’s Bible got baptised is now written in our family history. It is not an anecdote we revisit particularly frequently, but I had reason to recall it this week.
I was in my study. It was a warm day, and the windows were open. As I worked on some editing, I was not facing the windows, and so did not see (or hear – I am deaf) the rain that soon began to pour down.
In fact, there was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
When I realised the deluge, of course I moved to shut the windows. As I did, I saw that my Bible – lying open on a table beneath the window – was rain spattered. It was wet. Baptisms of Bibles seem to run in the family.

Looking at the drops of water on words on the page, I was reminded of Psalm 68:9:
‘You sent abundant rain, O God, to refresh the weary land.’

Perhaps our writing, in whatever stage we are, can feel like a weary land sometimes. Old, tired, dehydrated, in need of life.

My editor is wonderful, so it is no reflection on my editor when I say that – within the parameters of knowing experientially that editing is essential - it is not my favourite part of the writing process.
Perhaps editing is, at times, my ‘weary land’.
I recently said to God, in a forlorn little voice, ‘I need to edit this manuscript.’
God replied, full of refreshing rain; ‘Let’s do it together.’
And we did.

Whatever our ‘weary land’ is at the moment, let’s remember we have a God who says, ‘Let’s do this together.’
A God who refreshes our weariness – word-weariness or otherwise - with His presence.
Raining Presence.
A God who says, ‘I’ll never leave you or forsake you’ (Joshua 1:5), and means it.
Let’s do this together.


Comments

  1. Emily, that is so beautiful. It's refreshed me this morning after a tough week. I love the image of your dad looking at his baptised Bible while none of you laughed (!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth (did you notice some of the 'refreshing rain' fell on the name 'Ruth').
      Oh absolutely, we didn't laugh at all. Indeed, if prizes were awarded for keeping a straight face in Bible Baptism situations, we'd have won a wooden spoon...

      Delete
    2. I didn't! That is encouraging. How funny!

      Delete
  2. Indeed thank God that He refreshes us and I've never come across that phrase before baptised Bibles, so I'll remember it with a :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sharon; thank God that He refreshes us.
      As for the 'baptised Bibles' phrase, I venture to hope that you never come across it again! I'm glad you'll remember it with a smile :)

      Delete
  3. How very apt in the current/recent weather!
    And now I shall think if God in the petrichor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Think of God in the petrichor' - that is a beautiful phrase.

      Delete
  4. Feeling a little like a dry and weary land at the moment, and can almost feel our Saviour’s refreshing summer rain as I read your post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So love that Emily. I’m in a bit of a weary land at mo so it was amazingly encouraging! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in a weary land at the moment too! Thanks, Emily!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment