A PEACEFUL PARTNERSHIP by Liz Manning

 

Rebekah Lyons in her book ‘Rhythms of Renewal’ comments:

God didn’t design us to create on our own. He made us to create with Him, to tend to His creation…He wanted [men and women] to work with Him in creating something beautiful, something life-giving.’

She goes on to prompt her readers to ask:

Does my [writing] bring a sense of peaceful partnership with God?’

I’m not sure ‘peaceful partnership’ is the first phrase that comes to my mind about my writing. Recently, it’s been more ‘wading through sludge’ or ‘Jacob-like wrestling’.

The hot weather, the emotional weight of working with people with terminal illness, ongoing family issues, and continued over high expectations of self all serve to drain my physical, mental, and creative energy. Even the things I love to do (like writing) or the things that I know do me good (like writing) become an effort.

I think the problem may be because I have in my head a golden image of a writer:

A separate space with comfortable chair, right height desk, and an inspiring view. Not to forget a cake tin and coffee machine to hand (but never any weight problems or heart arrhythmias). Plenty of uninterrupted, unresented time to compose. Ideas jotted down throughout the day in a notebook or electronic device, always on hand because the writer only wears clothes with suitable pockets. Prose or poetry flowing from pen or keyboard if not easily, at least readily and with a sense of satisfaction.

I know, it’s ridiculous.

I think I had a similarly golden view of pregnancy before I had children. I believed all the media hype of the glow of an expectant mother going through a natural and wonderful experience.

I was to be proved very wrong, spending most of my pregnancies exhausted, anxious, and with my head down a toilet, ending up in hospital both times. So much for the glow - more a sickly greyish green hue.

So when I consider those two words, ‘peaceful’ and ‘partnership’, I find I need to think about what they really mean.

Peaceful doesn’t mean easy. The Hebrew word ‘shalom’, with its wider definition of wholeness, speaks to me more of a sense of purpose and rightness, of doing what we were made for. Maybe that’s why it’s so frustrating when my writing’s not going well?

But we also have the joy and encouragement of a partnership.

We are meant to be writing because God has called us to it, designed us for it, shaped and honed us to make us better at it, painful as that may prove.

But perhaps it’s more than that: He doesn’t leave us to just get on with it. He sits alongside us, encouraging us and cheering us on, enthusing over our talents put to good use, writing His own story on our screens and paper but also on our lives.

We are meant to be creative. We are meant to take after our Heavenly Father. He loves to work with us. It’s worth remembering.

Comments

  1. Liz, your idea of a writer as someone who always has suitable pockets really made me smile. Maybe there's a business opportunity there - clothes for writers. Suitable pockets big enough for notebooks. Trousers that disguise the writers' hips. Sweatshirts with massive hoods that we could put over our heads when anyone asks us to do something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone wrote a funny blog about this on here - I remember chortling.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes. Those perfect pictures! I'm lying on my bed, perspiring like a good 'un being interrupted by questions about mops, pens, location of clothes etc with a thousand and one other things to do apart from all the writing work. And my love of cake means that my mattress topper is bowing slightly! Keep at it Liz. Perfect people are no fun at all. Not that I've ever met one. Love from one tired, hot, sticky writer to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your idea of clothing, Fran! I've often thought of clothes for painters/artists - pockets of course, everyone can use a few pockets - pencils of course, phone, you name it is belongs or is transported in a pocket - why so few women's clothes made with these? Artitts need a kind of smock-like garment (no sleeves) to be popped on over the head, hang down to the knees, keep paint off other clothing... sorry this is right off the point I know ... am pausing now to be thankful, this room has a lovely view (trees) and my desk is big enough - but that wasn't always so! (And my present computer though new-ish often misbehaves, as does the internet...)Hope you get the right desk, view, etc soon, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post, Liz. I love the image of a peaceful partnership with God sitting alongside us as we write.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment