Rejection by Eileen Padmore


In a recent ACW zoom, Fran suggested we consider 'rejection' as a topic. I reflected on an article refused by Woman Alive 11 years ago. They had published my two previous submissions, and the next, so why not this? I came up with:

*  Over confidence
*  Lack of editing
*  Padding
*  'Spiky' observer stance with attitude

Regarding the latter, it was probably a blind spot then. In the article, I observed a four-generation family reunion. The reader might have puzzled over my detachment, which maybe was because my many siblings, nieces and nephews have progeny and I don't. I love children (well behaved ones) but have escaped being blessed with them myself. Whoops, that's the spiky bit! Of course, I've missed out desperately – or have I?

So here is the article, reduced from some 1000 words to the 300 requested by Fran.  I've removed some of the barbs (hopefully) but it's a tad disjointed. Can I blame word poverty for that?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four generation family reunion

Resistance had been futile against the powerful matriarchal push for a family reunion. What a mix!

Great-grandfather was on a mission to find a comfy chair indoors whilst the three great-grannies, dressed in assorted flowery curtain-like material, lined themselves up in the conservatory next to the food.

The hubbub of greetings subsided as the more active organised themselves into age ghettos outdoors.  I was pondering the generation gap when the great-grandmas provided unexpected insight.

'There she goes, I knew she would', said one, as young mum bore screaming baby out to garden. 'She's gone to ask dad to change the nappy'. Bets were taken but the negatives lost. Back came dad with distressed child.

'Told you so', crowed grandma. It's what they do now. The men do it all. We were born at the wrong time!'

Later, great-grandfather was discovered indoors by those bored with the topics of retirement and childbirth. Not that he was saying anything. He was just there. He had always been there. Veteran of both world wars, business downturns, teenage tantrums – there was no need to explain about the christian faith that has seen him through. It was part of him, woven through every aspect of his person.

Later, things began to wind down with the call for photos accompanied by a heated battle between toddlers over choice of DVD. Skilful arbitration won. Two generations earlier they'd have been spanked and put to bed.

Had it been some kind of primitive tribal ritual, I wondered?

We'd seen the traditional maternal role in action: to nurture, communicate, accept difference, reduce hierarchy and help the vulnerable; then great-grandfather's christian influence permeating down through the generations.

You can't choose your family, which may be why such bonding processes are vital. Apparently we're likely to get huge surprises about who else is in heaven. Could extended family gatherings down here be useful experience for what comes next?



Eileen Padmore has retired from a life spent in health care  and academia, having worked in Sierra Leone, Zambia, Eire and Northern Ireland (in the troubles) as well as inner city Birmingham and Leeds.  She has had articles published in Woman Alive, Christian Writer and contributed to the popular ACW Lent Book. Married to a professional musician, the family includes a feisty springer spaniel and a large African tortoise. Her website/blog launched recently: benedictunravelled.uk  

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this - to me it was sharply observant and having participated in many large family gatherings - including church 'parties' - I certainly could relate to the age ghettos!
    And as for heaven, well who knows, what will happen to the age ghettos then?




    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon. Age ghettos? That’s a thought. We’ll all be young again, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this! As Sharon said, sharply observant, and a scene that would resonate with anyone who's been at such a family gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it's their loss! I really liked it, Eileen. And this is proof, if we needed it, that sometimes it takes someone else (Fran in this case) to make us look at things in a slightly different way. Editing a long document down to a shorter one is hard, but a good exercise I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Fran for your super zoom and your encouragement once again. Yes, Ruth, curious that it can take something so simple as the suggestion of a well-visited topic to prompt a fresh angle on our work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But it is all a matter of taste. It feels personal, but it isn't. I work in a charity shop and every day we are given bags full of unwanted, well-meant gifts and beautiful things that somebody had and no longer wanted... it isn't a reflection of its value, except in the eye of the beholder only. Personally I'm glad we all have different tastes and desires - it makes the world much more wonderfully diverse. We need to learn to handle the personal bit a little better, is all, and to always remember whose opinion matters and whose does not. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. Some valid observations. Families are so important but push us to the limit at times. Yes, always more to learn.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this, Eileen. Made me smile and wince a bit at the same time. Family reunions are strange affairs - always an edge of some sort which you tend not to get with just friends. I enjoyed ours up in Glasgow but there was always an undertow that if you hadn't made the effort, the lake of fire awaited. As to editing, I've probably mentioned before one of my favourite bits of advice (can't remember source offhand) - go over your piece, highlight the passages you regard as especially fine - strike them out without mercy. Personally, I'd have liked a little more than 300 words on this topic, as I'm sure there must have been other good stuff amongst the lost 700. Maybe another 300 for another time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 'unknown' although I think I know who you are! Glasgow was a bit of a give away. One of the missing bits was an exploration of how the generation gap also follows the technology fault line, particularly when it comes to digital or hard copy photos.

      Delete
    2. Good guessing! I thought my email address would identify. George

      Delete
  8. Nice piece: I expect if you'd only had to edit down to 500 words it'd have run a bit more smoothly but it is lovely and I don't feel it's spikey. For example, the great-grannies's observations run so true! And they do comment they were born in the wrong generation - a touch off regret, surely, that dads didn't get involved with babies back then. What we didn't hear about was the noise! A big family gathering for lunch after my brother in law's funeral last December was a very, very noisy affair - sounded like a party! And as for generations - the grandchildren crowd, bar one who was only 18 months - took over a long table, quite naturally wanting to be together, recognising each other as 'us' and leaving the adults to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Claire. Yes, I remember using the word 'cacophony' in the original. The noise got left out of this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment