Learning from mistakes - by Fran Hill

I recently saw Ed Sheeran, the singer, being interviewed. He said he'd learned far more from disastrous failures of gigs in his early career than from playing at Wembley Arena to thousands or receiving glittering awards. 

Have a watch, if you can tolerate the swearing and, worse, the fact that he says 'weird' three million times and could do with a thesaurus.   

But he talks about the illusion of fame and celebrity with real sincerity. Much of it will resonate with writers and other people who make themselves vulnerable by putting themselves 'out there'. 

Here is the interview. It's 45 minutes long. Put the kettle on.  



He reminded me. 

Eight years ago, an audience member at a local arts event saw me on stage and approached me after the show. Would I be guest speaker at a regular literary event she ran?  

'You were funny tonight,' she said. 'Will you come and talk about your writing? I'm sure my audience will love you.' 

Uh oh.

I arrived at the venue planning to use extracts from two of my own pieces, a monologue and a poem, intending to demonstrate how I had made them funny. 

First, I read out the monologue and the poem. 

There were several politeness-titters from the audience of 20 or so women, but otherwise, as I read, I realised that an elephant had walked in and plumped itself bang in the middle of the room. 

When I'd finished, a silence didn't just fall. It dropped on the room like a ceiling come loose. 

I had two choices: pretend I hadn't noticed, and battle on, or acknowledge the elephant. 

'This is awkward,' I said. 'I've been booked to talk to you about how I make my writing funny, but I've heard more laughter in a funeral parlour.'

They did laugh at that. 

One brave lady, to whom I will be forever grateful, put up her hand. 'The thing is,' she said. 'I think you were reading, not performing. You weren't seeing us as an audience that needed entertaining.'

Someone added, 'Your scripts are funny. Your delivery wasn't.'

Another said, 'You've been honest, though, in acknowledging what's just happened. That's a plus.'

It didn't feel like one, at that point.


Somehow, we rescued the evening. I passed round my scripts, we explored the comedic devices I'd used, and they had fun trying them out in various exercises. I waved goodbye to the elephant as it lumbered out of the room.

Afterwards, over coffee and chocolate biscuits, they filled in their feedback forms  and I watched them, my heart going BOOM BOOM BOOM. 

I needn't have feared. They'd enjoyed themselves.  

And, strangely, so had I. I'd learned some huge lessons. Reading and performance are different. Audiences are usually on your side, wanting you to succeed. 

And if you acknowledge the elephant in the room, you can get rid of it before it stays to eat all the chocolate biscuits.  





Fran Hill is a writer and English teacher from Warwickshire. Her latest book 'Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?' is a funny but poignant teacher memoir written in diary form. It was published in May 2020 by SPCK Publishing. You can find out more about Fran's books and her work in general by visiting her website here 










 


Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, that must have been terrifying! Well done, You, for acknowledging it and turning the mood so well. Yes, we definitely learn from our mistakes. If we are wise enough to admit to them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember being terrified. But whaddya do? You either run, or you have to find a way round it. It wasn't a perfect evening, but, yes, I learned a lot from the massive errors!

      Delete
  2. Wow you were so brave. Most comedians admit the terror of public performance, of going on stage to be funny, and of not receiving that immediate warm response of laughter which must transform the atmosphere. Frankie Howerd handled it with the words, 'Oh please yourselves.' They became his catchphrase. People loved it - it was all in his delivery. Years later I was shocked to discover everything he said was scripted - but they scripted it to his personality. Be encouraged. We never forget the people who made us laugh, all through our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read that, actually, in 'How to be funny' guides by comedians. You can't ignore being heckled, or insulted, or interrupted. You have to acknowledge it. The skill is in doing that in a funny way that gets the rest of the audience laughing and the heckler embarrassed. I suspect that takes years of experience, mainly because you need shedloads of confidence!

      Delete
  3. Blimey! Thanks for sharing this with us Fran. You are a brave woman and I like the crack about the funeral parlour. We do learn far more from our mistakes than our successes I think. Ed is a good lad - he's shared very honestly about his failures. I never watch Jonathan Ross (not a fan at all) but he was on there a while ago and said that when he started out he was rubbish. JR didn't believe him, so he pulled out his phone and played a clip of one of his earliest recordings. He was right. It was awful. He said he worked hard every day to improve his singing and playing and that anyone can succeed if they keep at it. I liked that. Thanks for this blog. If we can learn that our mistakes teach us valuable lessons, we've stumbled upon one of the great truths of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting about Jonathan Ross. How honest of him. Yes, I really did value watching that whole interview with Ed Sheeran. I think everyone should watch it who thinks that success will bring some kind of inner peace or happiness. As we know, that's not the main source.

      Delete
  4. I too laughed at the funeral parlour joke and admire how you handled this. Interestingly, the AWC - Australian Writers Centre - gave the challenge of writing a 23 word story about a [picture of an elephant in the room. You used the metaphor perfectly! I loved how your heart triple boomed when you read the feedback forms too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No admiration required, Martin - I was trying to save my neck, I think! As for 23 words ... THAT is flash fiction!

      Delete
  5. Hanging off your every word and loving it as usual Fran. My public speaking days are over thank goodness - but I do remember, back in the day, having an audience of prospective dads and mums in stitches when I was a pupil midwife taking a parent craft class. It wasn’t meant to be funny and I can’t remember why they thought it was. I wonder how many babies got drowned as a result?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's almost a comedy sketch in itself, Eileen! I went on a comedy course a couple of weeks ago and they said the ideal scenario for a sketch is someone who's meant to know what they're doing but clearly doesn't, or does the opposite of what's expected. In that case, I must have collected so much potential material in my early days as a teacher without realising it ....

      Delete
  6. You're fabulously honest, Fran and I love your writing as a result. You have a beautiful humility and the ability
    to laugh at yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it comes from teacher training, Nikki. You know - laugh at yourself before they do!

      Delete

Post a Comment