To Sea Or Not To Sea? by Emily Owen


I apologise in advance for any typos in this blog.
My hair, having been through the ‘getting in my eyes’ stage, is delighting in its current ‘obliterating my eyes’ status.
Why, you might ask me, don’t you get a haircut?
Ah.
I live in Leicester.
I see you nodding now.
Yes, I am still in Lockdown.

In relation to the current Leicester Lockdown, a local man in the news said:

‘We’ll just have to watch while everyone else goes to the seaside.’

Perhaps, as writers, we sometimes feel in lockdown. 
We don’t seem to be moving.  
We just have to watch while everyone else goes to the metaphorical seaside of contracts, and books, and publishers, and articles.

Last week, in an online bible study group, I began looking at the book of Colossians.
Paul wrote to the Colossian Christians while he was in prison. 
He was in lockdown. 
He was going nowhere, while the world outside him carried on.
And yet, he knew what was happening in the world outside. 
He knew how to pray for them.
In the first part of Colossians chapter 1, Paul thanked God for the Colossian church as they grew in faith, and hope, and love. As he watched/heard about them, unable to be where they were – unable to be anywhere other than prison – he thanked God for them.
And he prayed for more (V9b):

 ‘...that you will have great wisdom and understanding in spiritual things.’

Often, in ACW, we see news of people signing contracts, publishing books, getting rave reviews. And we click ‘like’, or comment ‘brilliant news!’ and we celebrate with them, thanking God.
Do we, like Paul, go on to pray for more? To pray that they will know God’s blessing and enabling moving forward, whether that be in writing the contracted book, completing the article, or promoting/selling the finished work?

Paul was no stranger to lockdown.
During his lockdown, he looked out.
2 Timothy tells us that Paul also looked in. 
He didn’t ignore his own needs. 
From a time in prison, Paul wrote to Timothy, ‘Please come, ASAP.’
Please come. 
Paul was feeling alone.

Is Paul alone in that?
Hemmingway said that the writing life can be a lonely one:

Paul goes on to tell Timothy that, when he was all alone; 

‘The Lord stood with me and gave me strength.’ 
(2 Tim 4:17).

Perhaps this is a good reminder for us as writers that, when we feel our writing is in lockdown and not going anywhere, or when we feel alone as we reach for words and pen them if they come, God is standing right beside us. Giving us strength.

Whether we are at the stage of our calling that takes us to the seaside, or at the stage of watching others go to the seaside, or at the stage when we are looking up this ‘seaside thing’ in the dictionary, may we know the truth of Paul’s words in Philippians 4:13:

‘I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.’

Paul was pretty wise, really, wasn’t he? 
A good person to emulate.
Perhaps his action in Acts 18:18 is one I will mirror before too long: he had his hair cut.



Comments

  1. I feel your pain, Emily! My fringe is descending to my nose. I can either do a regular hair flick, or succumb to the tyranny of the kirby grip. This is an excellent point - I had never thought of Paul being in lockdown, but of course he was. Thought-provoking as always. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I'm sure there's a fringe appropriate pun here. 'Bang'ing on about hair, perhaps?!

      Delete
    2. Oh very good. I hadn't thought of that. Bang on, if I may say so.

      Delete
    3. It's rather novel for me to be bang on, I'm usually more on the fringe of things...
      (Promise I'll stop now.)

      Delete
  2. So apposite as I plan my trip to the seaside today! Lots of thought-provoking points to mull over here. Thanks, as always, for the gentle sensitivity of your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points! I hadn't thought of Paul being in lock down either, but of course he was. I do hope you are released from it soon, Emily. And I love the two pictures at the end of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. From a Llama who hopes to be a horse one day ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, Emily, I'm sorry to read this. I thought I only knew my RNA writing friend, Lizzie Lamb in Leicester. Take heart from Paul. Loved your pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for encouragement - I shall be a horse yet!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Emily for a gentle excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an inspiring read. Thank you , Emily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment