The Writers' Journey by Nikki Salt





Over the past four months, what has your writing journey been like?

Perhaps for you, it has been a journey of your ‘actual’ writing (character developments, prose, editing, research (much of it through Google, of course) or you may have bravely stepped out and launched your book online (I’m extremely privileged to be reading and reviewing a couple at the moment) or possibly you feel this journey has taken you away from your writing. You might be feeling frustrated, perhaps imagining the last four months a writing waste. You couldn’t be further from the truth.

God is just as interested in our writing journey as He is in the destination.



During the past four months, I have written little but, metaphorically speaking, I have swum oceans, soared into celestial spaces, and plummeted into endless chasms but all the while He has shaped me. He’s shaved bits off, moulded bits on, pressed and, just as he does with everyone, pummelled me into His work of art. A work of art that’s never quite complete.

The Great Sculptor knows far more about artistic diversity than any of us. As He moulds, He allows us all sorts of experiences and injects them with a whole plethora of emotions. Just as we teach and parent our own children, he nurtures us, and sometimes it hurts a bit.

However, as He sculpts, we too become artists and from these life experiences, we create our own characters, our own stories. We draw upon our darkest fears, our deepest grief, our times of elation, of pure, utter delight, and those moments that made us laugh so much our bellies ached. We write and we share and allow others a glimpse of our true selves in the hope that as they read they can identify with our journey and know that they are not alone in theirs.

No part of a writers’ journey needs ever be wasted. I’d love to hear about your writing journey if you’re happy to share.  

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this, both the writing and the images, Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why my reply to you has dropped down to the bottom!! Certainly not intentional! Thank you for your encouragement. 💕

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this, Nikki, and I'm sure this is a time when we're all being sculpted. I'm planning to talk about our experiences of this time at the ACW day on Sat 18th July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of those launching/promoting a book during lock down, I think I can safely say this was a journey I wasn't expecting to travel. But I've learned a lot and, maybe next time, if there is a next time, those lessons will prove useful. Actually, I wonder whether, if I'd launched a book like this before, I would have been frustrated by all the things I couldn't do. I imagine famous authors launching now might have been, comparing this time with their previous experiences. As it was, I didn't know enough to be frustrated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound a bit like me - there's a certain comfort in ignorance!! It's all turned out well, though and I still think you were brave to just do it! That takes courage!!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Susan. That means a lot. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea that the journey is as important as the destination. It reminds me of my favourite verse from Psalm 84:5-6 which talks about the blessings of pilgrimage. Lovely, inspiring post. Thanks Nikki! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My writing journey has been completely different since lock down started. Rather than my usual routine of writing lots of different articles for lots of different clients, my creative brain was allowed free rein (a first) and out came two books. I wouldn't have believed you if you'd told me this would happen. I've spent so many years, nearly all my life in fact, feeling that I haven't achieved much or reached my potential, and reading this reminds me that God is in charge and he moulds us. Such a good post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. That's brilliant that you've written two books! God does make such good come out of situations that to us seem impossible!!

      Delete
    2. I haven't finished either of them yet, but it's certainly a start! Yes, He does.

      Delete
  7. Time to not do what is usually there to do! So a good time to sort the WIP and its various needs. I've appreciated the time not demanding to rush anything - except the blog I write for (not ACW) when I nearly missed a deadline due to that weird way the calendar doesn't have many items on it! Looking forward to Philip's day course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep going!! Next time I meet you...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment