Be kind to yourself by Claire Musters



I don’t know about you, but I have had moments during lockdown when I have looked with envy and despair at the amount other writers and speakers are doing. Each time I see another new post or video, inwardly I can sigh – and feel ‘less than’. Because lockdown for me has been a massive juggling act of online church content, supporting my children and doing extra work for magazine clients. There has literally been little time to breathe, let alone start to process the pain of losing my mum and grandmother.

 

But last weekend something happened that gave me pause for thought. After our Sunday service there was a knock on the door and a friend was standing there with a beautiful tray full of treats.

 

It was wonderful to be able to invite her in to share a coffee with us in our garden. As we sat there, we reflected on what this year has been like so far and, as we did, she suddenly exclaimed: ‘You guys have achieved so much! I hope you have taken notice and celebrated what you have managed to do under such difficult circumstances.’ 

 

That simple shift in perspective from what I can’t do to focusing on what we have done, made a huge difference. To have finished a book on disappointment and loss while walking the path of losing my own mum, and to have it come out as an eBook during lockdown felt so timely. We have also managed to finish our first project together – Grace-filled marriage. Thankfully our publisher loves what we have done!

 

No, I haven’t managed to create online content to grow my list. No, I haven’t done any new research to be able to decide which of the book ideas I have will be my next project. But I was reminded to pause and celebrate what has been achieved.

 

I know that writing has been difficult for many of us in lockdown – as has reading. Many are finding concentrating hard and sleep more elusive. A few days ago I followed a thread on Twitter from someone asking for tips on how to maintain focus, as she is used to working with others and having people to bounce ideas off of. I wanted to share a few here, in case you are finding yourself frustrated rather than fruitful in this time. You are not alone – so please be gentle on yourself:

 

·      Creativity will be harder for many of us in this time, with so much going on. Recognise this.

·      At the start of each writing session, take time to write down how you are feeling. It can get your creative juices flowing, as well as help you understand yourself.

·      Have writing friends you can set goals with, and check in with one another.

·      Give yourself plenty of breaks in between short, focused bursts of writing.

·      Create a co-writing group that you can simply be connected with online as you work – so you sense their presence but also are able to chat to when you feel the need.

·      Don’t beat yourself up when you don’t feel like writing.

 

If you know that you have struggled to write during lockdown, may I recommend two free online events by ACW members that may be of interest:

 

Tomorrow, Philip S Davies is running an event Time to write? (Sadly I believe booking have closed for this, but I have been told there could be a recording available later.) And on 25 July Tanya Marlow asks: How do we create in times of chaos? More information can be found at: https://christianwriters.org.uk/events/


Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. Her latest addition to the Insight Guides series, An Insight into Shame, was published in May 2019 and her latest Cover to CoverExodus God’s epic rescue was published in April 2020. She has also written a devotional on disappointment and loss (available as an eBook, and later in the year as a physical book) and is writing a book on marriage alongside her husband (due to be published May 2021). She also writes Bible study notes and magazine articles. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. 

Comments

  1. I'm guilty of this all the time: focusing on what hasn't happened rather than what has. And I agree with your friend - you do seem to have achieved a fair amount, despite some really difficult circumstances. Well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I spend far too much time beating myself up about what I haven't achieved and comparing myself to others I admire (yourself included). Reading what you have achieved in such difficult and painful times fills me with admiration. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an encouraging, life-giving post. Thank you Claire! I have just started, at the end of each day, responding to the 'What have you actually achieved for mankind today?' question, by listing what I HAVE done - written a comment on a blog, encouraged a friend, rung a shielding person, even cleaned a bathroom. I have been writing but it sometimes feels a bit self-indulgent. Thinking of you as you grieve for your mum. Glad you are beginning to be kind to yourself. Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with above! While I have been able to read, the idea of “growing my list” left me listless. (Sorry for pun. It just happened). Writing in my journal didn’t happen, no matter how often I heard it would be good for my mental health at this time. I did write bullet points in my gratitude journal, and your post had me celebrating that at least I could do that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment