Food for thought - 3

"May the God of peace, 
who through the blood of 
the eternal covenant...equip 
you with everything good 
for doing his will, and may 
he work in us what is
 pleasing to him."

Hebrews 13:20 & 21 






When I wrote my June contribution to this blog, my  'Food for Thought'  blog was ending it's second series of forty consecutive days. Despite a week off between two series, I was beginning to feel the strain.  In publishing the final one, I so desired to bless the Lord I used a YouTube video of Matt Redmond singing '10,000 reasons' at the Royal Albert Hall and felt submerged in unspeakable joy.

Three glorious days followed. We had a brief vacation at Casa Johnson on the Bristol del Sol, dipping into our small pool where the temperature rose to thirty-three degrees.  It was ice creams at 4.00 pm, dinner with Sangria at 7.00 pm.  Under the gazebo the temperature was still thirty degrees, so not difficult to imagine we were in Spain.

After that as the wind and rain returned bringing a sense it was important that I write another blog series entitled, 'The Keys of the Kingdom'.  I felt excited until I realised what a huge subject it was and then felt ill equipped to tackle it.   The above verse spurred me on, but I am still struggling to tell the story in the same vein as first two series where 'You’ is the character, whose gender and age is not revealed.  Easy in a dream scenario, but not one of daily life. Last week I came to a point after two re-writes of ten keys, feeling they were both boring.  Ready to give up I asked the Lord again, "Am I meant to be writing this?" 

The word 'new norm' has brought Christians across the world believing the Lord is talking about a 'reset' in the church after lockdown.  This week several of those prophetic voices have written that we have been given the keys to the Kingdom. Keys to unlock the lockdown that for years has assailed His people individually and corporately.

I am sure we all enjoy and feel called to write.  Our desire is people will read and be blessed by our efforts. When that involves God's love and truth I know, in whatever form it takes, His Word never returns void.  Yet, today, I am still struggling to write a refreshing and inspiring 'show', not 'tell' story, and feel in a wrestling match between the two styles.  I am reminded of a Morecombe and Wise sketch with Andre Previn.  Morecombe tells Andre, “I am playing the right notes, but not in the right order.” I'm writing the right words, but not in the right way, and my story feels dead rather than alive.

To aid the writing juices I've read five fiction books, imbibed relevant scriptures, watched a variety of dramas and have now decided to scrap my two attempts and begin again. And I will believe, that I and my prayer warrior friend, will eventually win this battle, and still be in God's timing! 





Comments

  1. You need some more hot weather Ruth. I can feel the heat and freedom in para 2! Have you come across Matt Redmond & Co singing 10,000 reasons to a multi-ethnic multitude in Times Square, New York? Not normally my 'go to' music but I love that clip! praying you will get inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep at it and keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for pressing on so faithfully with your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honest and inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And to think I thought you might be writing about chocolate! Thank you for your blogpost- so grounded in honesty. I like the fact that you, too, read and watch as part of your preparation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment