Swapping experiences on the ACW Facebook page ready for the Virtual Writers' Day coming up on Saturday, it strikes me that many of us have found lockdown to have had a stifling effect on our writing.

So when I realised it was my turn on the blog, this old poem came to mind. I hope it might be an encouragement to all of us.




So where do I find the discipline
To move from thinking about writing
Or reading about writing
To actually writing?
And where do I find the courage
To move from writing
To sharing?


Just write
Write notes
Write articles
Write thoughts down
Write letters to God as prayers
Write presentations
Write new poems
Rewrite old poems

Keep a notebook with you
Keep it in the car
In your pocket
By your bed
Use your Surface
Jot stuff down
Just write anything

Just write whenever you can
Whenever you have a thought
Whenever you notice something
Whenever time presents itself
Write when you’re ill
Write when you’re clear headed
Write anything
Write now

Just write.

Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adult sons. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/  


Comments

  1. Great poem! Just the encouragement I need at my transition point of writing life. Thank you.
    One question: what is BB? In your personal description you mention you are a BB captain, and I’m intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Kathleen, I forgot not everyone knows that - BB is Boys' Brigade. I am surrounded by men of all ages!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! I've never come across that before, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, some of us have found it really helpful to be unencumbered by other thing, and get down to writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment