Being Inspired By Others




When I first wrote this blog (a number of months ago), the title was “Being Inspired by Deborah Jenkins".We’ll find out why approximately halfway through this piece. Feel free to jump ahead if you’re pressed for time.

I’ve been a freelancer for 12 years and as such, I am moderately well organised, because I have to be. The more people who use my services, the more I need to be on top of what I have to write, when, in what tone and with how many words. When Wendy asked me to contribute to More Than Writers last year, I was ludicrously excited. Like some kind of eager Springer Spaniel puppy (minus the lolling tongue and drool) I wrote a piece in double quick time and sent it over. 

I don’t want you to get the impression that I am some kind of over-efficient über-writer. Nothing could be further from the truth. But what is true is that ever since I was asked to contribute to MTW, half remembered-stories, fragments of articles and memories have come rushing from the cluttered under stairs cupboard at the back of my brain to whichever lobe it is that allows me to sit here tapping away.

Being inspired by others is a huge part of what makes us writers, I believe. From those earliest fairy stories and nursery rhymes, through obsessive reading in the school library to adult life with all its myriad opportunities, challenges and obstacles, the brain sponge (not a real thing) which soaks up potential content in my head has been expanding. In a rather revolting extension of that metaphor, every so often I give it a good old squeeze and out comes a blog.

Joining the ACW has given me access to what looks to me like a huge, friendly, book-lined room filled with delightful people with whom I have much in common. Some I have met. Some I feel that I know quite well from our online interaction. One of these is Deborah. Reading her blogs, I usually find myself doing one of the following:

·      Nodding while making “mmm” noises in agreement.
·      Chuckling.
·      Leaning back in my chair, gazing at the ceiling and pondering.

I like her style. I like her humour. I like her honesty and unwillingness to pretend that she is all sorted, thank you very much. I like the fact that she mentions Jane Austen moderately often. I am inspired by her.

As the great Jane herself said, “Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery” and that’s a sentiment to which I have always subscribed. There are times to be serious, of course. There are times when laughter is utterly inappropriate. That said, writers tend to be solitary animals when working, and to find someone who makes you laugh while at the same time making you think is a rare gift.

We’ve never met. Since lock down, however, I've chatted with her online and even Zoomed a couple of times. I also watched a brilliant sermon she gave, so I know what she, her husband and her front room look like. I particularly like the teal wall revealed during Saturday's online ACW Writers' Day with Fran. Funny how you can know quite a lot about someone and yet never have met them.

I hope we do meet when this is all over, but for now, Deborah, thanks for the memories! And of course, the inspiration.
 Images by Pixabay




Ruth is a freelance writer, speaker and poet. She is married with three delightful children, runs a catering company and keeps chickens and quail. She has her first novel in the editing stage, another two on the go, writes poetry as the mood takes her, writes for a number of Christian charities and has her own business writing blogs for small Suffolk businesses. She is a recovering over-achiever who is now able to do the school run in her onesie most days. She blogs at @bigwordsandmadeupstories, covering topics as diverse as King Zog of Albania, a Christingle plagued by punch-ups and tummy upsets, and the inevitable decline of elderly parents. She has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this get in the way of a meaningful life.


Comments

  1. This is touching,God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite agree with you about Deborah. Probably many other things as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should imagine there is little we disagree on! Sandwich flavours? Got to be tuna at number one, closely followed by ham with cheese bringing up the rear.

      Delete
  3. I love Deborah's teal wall. I think all writers should have one. And, as you say, there are also other aspects of her to admire ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am saving up for one now. I can see that's why I haven't yet managed to make it on to the Booker long list. Teal. The answer to most things.

      Delete
  4. Oh Ruth, you are so lovely. So glad I started my day with this post - the first day 'back to real life' after our week 'away' at home in Sussex. Thanks so much for the encouragement. You have an enormously generous spirit which inspires ME actually. And yes, I totally agree how inspiring and affirming the ACW is. I love the image of it being like a huge, friendly, book-lined room - such a great image. I think for many of us, our writing has taken off, in the sense that we have felt able to take it seriously, as a result of being involved with ACW. It really is a unique and special group of people. I can't wait to meet you in the flesh too. Let's hope it's before we party in heaven - there are hopefully a few more on earth to be had first...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be God's timing. I wrote that piece months ago, and every month something has come up and I've felt it wasn't quite the right time. God knew that you would be back to "real life" and need a pick me up. Isn't He amazing? Gosh yes, do let's try to meet up and at least manage a cup of tea and a bun before the Heavenly Cream Tea begins xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's going to be a heavenly cream tea? So, that must also mean there will be no fighting, or tears, over the pronunciation of scone, because the old order of things has passed away (Revelation 21:4 The FH version.)

      Delete
    2. Amen to that, my dear sister! Also no squabbling over whether you put the jam or the cream on first, as He is making a new thing.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Mr Garlic! I saw you this morning walking past Yvonne's.

      Delete

Post a Comment