In Short...

I find writing reviews hard work, for although I can remember what I read, to 'give a short overview’ is not my thing.

It’s not the overview bit that’s tricky, it’s the ‘short’ bit. You see, to me 3,000 words is flash fiction. After a while, the talk or lecture condenses in my head. I will be able to answer questions about it, but when asked, “So, what was it about?” well, that’s a different matter.


July saw four brilliant Writers’ Days. I mean, the days were brilliant. (The writers as well, but it wasn’t aimed at only brilliant writers. Total newbies like me were welcome too.) I would love to summarise those days for you. If that was my thing.

I’m not a very emotional person, but somehow my reviews or summaries tend to rely on feelings. “It was wonderful,” I would say, “Such an interesting talk.” Don’t ask why, it just was. My book reviews on various sites have the words enjoyed, brilliant, lovely, or even amazing in them. I don’t use complex words like ‘protagonist’, simply because I can never remember what it stands for. In fact, I rely on red zigzag lines to even spell the word.

The Writers’ Days were great. They were uplifting and encouraging. Now, this might not be what those four speakers meant to pass on, but the thing I took from their messages was, “Find the joy in what you write, do not feel guilty, do not compare and do not give up.” It was such a timely message too, for I was wondering if I should do more to make myself sound like a writer.

I can’t edit for toffee. I feel like Pilate, saying, “What I have written, I have written.” I don’t think about my words, sentences, clauses and subclauses. Maybe that’s why I don’t write poetry, as I hear other, proper, writers talking about adjusting and rewriting their poems. My poems just land on paper, I might spot a spelling mistake if I’m careful. I might even swap one word round, add a comma, replace an exclamation mark. That’s it. Done.


This month I ended up writing two poems during the workshops. One was an Ode to a Paperclip (Writing about the small things in our life), the other one was based on linking six main words together. (Don’t ask me to summarise that workshop. It was brilliant, helpful and inspiring. It involved writing random words on paper, folding another paper and writing the words in pairs on there.) But you know what? I loved it. I felt great joy in creating, as Tanya said at the end.

Writing gives me a wonderful time. I love telling the stories, my fingers struggling to keep up with wild ideas. I love watching faith in action in characters’ lives, their struggles in following Christ, tensions between different people. It’s a gift, not in the sense that my writing is amazing, but a gift from God to experience the joy of banging away at a laptop. These last Saturdays have encouraged me in this, and actually increased my joy in the Lord. It has given me a greater appreciation and gratefulness for all His blessings.

So there it is, my summary. And never nominate me scribe, secretary or note-taker.


Comments

  1. You're so funny! 'For me, 3000 words is flash fiction.' That really made me LOL. What's going to happen when someone commissions you to write a family trilogy spanning hundreds of years?! Still, it's great to hear how the four writing days inspired you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Fortunately, I can write really fast, haha, but it'll be Lord of the Rings size no doubt...!

      Delete
  2. You are a HOOT! I loved, loved, loved this fellow newbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Maressa. I can relate to your way of writing poetry. I only attended Tanya’s workshop but got a lot from it too. It’s got my creative writing juices flowing again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... you are in super company, Maressa, - our daughter is like you - she can listen & talk the talk, but she can't summarise into an essay/report/article. It's only a problem when a person is still in education I think... she's a very practical person, and sounds like you are too - the world needs practical people, and if you can TELL stories, that'll count a lot - because good stories need content, fun, and a purpose - which you obviously have in spades! (by the way, she's out of education now, and enjoying helping troubled kids and teens in her work)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was just what I needed to hear, Maressa. I too struggle with writing reviews, and often feel that they are far too gushy. I also struggle to edit too. Such a shame I missed Tanya's workshop. I feel I would have found it really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty sure the talks will all go onto the website, Martin, and you're right, it was very helpful. It'll be good to listen to all four talks again as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment