What's in a word? A reflection by Tracy Williamson


The thought came to me today, 'What's in a word?'
A voice, a short explosion of sound;
one syllable, two, three or four
A second of hanging in the air
Resonating
Then gone.
A mark upon a page, letters, shapes sounds,  a line upon a computer.
A word - not much in itself
But when joined in familial bonding, one linked to another,
Dominoes of words together, rising  to create a dynasty
Falling to shatter a world.
A name, a fact, a description, an action, a hint of something more.
What's in a word?
Emotion, heart, love, creation, desire, cruelty, passion, power
His Word in me.
His Word in me
Yet I am deaf and words are meaningless to me
When spoken.
Yet I love them
And miss them
And my heart longs to be part of them.
And so, when I speak words
And write them
My heart leaps, for
His call to me is to give His Word away
To speak His power, love and grace into being
And to write it
There is that word that comes and goes so quickly
It may as well never been spoken.
But there is another word, which comes pregnant with meaning
And life.
One word, one sound, one group of shapes,
Nothing in itself,
Yet linked with others is
Full of power that can be terrifying
or beautifully life giving.
Depicting joy shattered or
Creating hope, laughter and love.

For God Spoke and His Word went forth
birthing universes.
Mountains, oceans, landscapes and ladybirds
Galaxies, deserts, elephants and wasps,
Love, Joy, Anger, Fear
And me.
He spoke life into me
His word brought cells together
His word saturated my DNA
His Words murmured personality, eye colour, lash length, mental agility
Love of beauty,  of dogs,  of Him.
Hatred of hate, love of words, hatred of mockery..
All formed within me through His word
spoken in love, sung over me, spoken in birthing power.
His Word in me
His Word through me
Spoken
Written
Bringing life.



Tracy Williamson is an author and speaker working together with blind Gospel singer Marilyn Baker for MBM Trust.  www.mbm-ministries.org  Tracy who is deaf and partially sighted shares a home with Marilyn and their 2 assistance dogs in Kent.  Tracy's 6th book The Father's Kiss was published in Sept 18.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely encouragement Joanna x

      Delete
  2. Love it. Thank you so much. And I just happen to be reading your contribution in Day by Day with God, too! What a gifted writer you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn, that's so encouraging as I was feeling a bit low today . Bless you xx

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is so, so beautiful and powerful. I especially loved the way you married words together like 'landscapes and ladybirds and elephants and wasps'. And the way you describe how words are created eg 'one syllable, two, three, four.' There's a wonderful energy to this piece. You are a wonderfully gifted writer. Bless you and I hope you have a great week ahead. Martin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment