Don’t be a lone writer; find others to encourage you!


We recently attended my son’s wedding. The sun shone, the preparations planned for months came together, and over a hundred family and friends turned up to wish the couple well. 


There will be challenges in their marriage - unexpected bumps in their relationship in addition to the dangerous corners, unexpected turns and emergency stops that we all face in life’s journey but they have warm and generous friends and a wide extended family to draw strength from.
I was tired the following day and spent time catching up on the TV documentary ‘The Bodyguard’ in which a metropolitan police force officer trained in anti terrorism but emotionally damaged keeps problems to himself during a cliff hanging hunt for a terrorist cell.  He eventually exposes the culprits but at considerable risk to his own life and others, which might have been avoided if he had responded positively to their offers of support.

We writers need to be solitary. Our story is a unique creation and needs our full concentration, but I find this can be isolating so I joined the Creative Communicators workshop coordinated by Susanne Irving. The group helped me through initial difficulties in characterisation and plot, listened as I read sections aloud, and were interested and encouraging until finally the novel was completed.

Recently I joined the more local to me ‘M3 corridor writers’ group’ – not the most inspiring name but does what it says! We meet every six weeks to talk and pray about our writing. The group works differently but with the same mutual encouragement and interest. They have helped me to think about how to use social media effectively, critiqued my first blog, and questioned me about the plot of the next novel. It can painful; sharing my writing makes me feel exposed. Even though they are kind and positive I can tell from the quality of the listening whether it is striking a chord or not.

At the wedding I read from Paul's letter to the Colossians chapter 1 verse 9 ‘We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way......’ 

https://openclipart.org/image/2400px/svg_to_png/170906/circle-of-hands.pngon



It is a long sentence and I had to think carefully about where to breathe!  There is a danger in writing that we press on without drawing a metaphorical breath. Words express truth, speak warnings, and shed light on hidden dangers but sometimes 
I need the perspective of others and a gentle hand on the wrist!

To join an ACW affiliated group go to
https://christianwriters.org.uk/groups/



Letitia Mason fell in love with East and Central Africa while teaching at a harambee school in Kenya. She has published Lost Children of Cush, a novel of South Sudan. Tish works for Flame International and lives in Surrey with her husband and a crazy dog.  

Comments