Letter to the weary - by Helen Murray

Hey.

You there. Feeling overwhelmed; weighed down. This is for you. 

I know that you're so, so tired. 

I know that you've got static in your head right now; thoughts going round and round and I know that it's all jumbled up and confused and you've given up trying to make sense of things. I know that you feel that everything is going wrong and that you're further than ever from where you want to be. I know that you're exhausted trying to keep up with your racing thoughts as you struggle to work out what to do next; what to say, where to go, what to think, what your next move should be. 

I have a message for you. 

You're not on your own. I know what you're going through and I am right there with you, even in the dark. I never lose my way, and I will not allow you to be lost either, because you are my beloved child. 
'...even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.'
Psalm 139:12
You know when they tell you that the darkest hour is just before dawn, and that at the moment that you think you simply can't keep going any longer - that's when daylight might break over the horizon?  

I love the image and the compassion behind what they tell you, but it's not as simple as that. It's not a matter of holding your breath until you can see again. Only I know how long the darkness will last. It might be that at any moment glorious light will flood your life and everything will fall into place, or it could be that you can't see the way forward for quite some time. Don't be afraid of the darkness. I am in the darkness as well. Is there anywhere I can't go?

I want you to learn to breathe, even when it's dark. I want to show you how to be so calm, so still, that you can see the pinpricks of light in the night sky. I want to give you eyes to see: I want to show you the stars. 

I'm teaching you about trust.

When you are still enough, close enough, you can learn to find beauty even when your eyes cannot make out anything else. There is beauty in the dark too, because I am there.

I see you agitated because you can't see, because you don't know. I see you struggle to make sense of life, trying with all your mind to understand things that are out of your control. 

Stop. Be still. I will fight for you.
'The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.   Exodus 14:14
There are times for dynamic action. When you can see the path ahead and you know what you need to do, these are full-speed-ahead times. There are other times when I want you to do nothing. Times to hide in the shadow of my wing; close to me. Safe. Lean against me and do nothing but listen for my heartbeat. You're always asking me what to do - Lord, what should I do? - but doing is not always what is necessary.

Sometimes I want you to stop, just sit with me for a while.

When it's dark and confusing your instinct to rush off can cause you to trip over things, to dash off in the wrong direction and I would save you that.
'Be still and know that I am God.'
Psalm 46:10 
Stop thinking that it all depends on you. You are not responsible for other people. You're not responsible for their happiness, or their success, or their opinion of you. You answer to me and me only, and I say - stop. Just for a while. I am here.

Stop striving. None of your dreams depends on you. I have the keys to all the doors that you wish would swing open in front of you and my timing is perfect. I know which ones to open and which to leave closed. Trust me, child of mine. I see the end from the beginning - I know the damage that would be done if I gave you all that you ask for when you ask for it. I know you. 

Maybe the dawn is just approaching, or maybe the night will go on for a while yet; that's up to me. You can trust me; I will work it all out for good. I have promised. If the darkness persists, then that too is under my control and I want you to come close to me and hold on tightly. 
'But those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be weary; they will walk and not be faint.'
Isaiah 40:31
I want you to come close and rest; feel the warmth of my arms around you, draw strength from my strength. If you are still enough, if you put aside the hopes and fears and worries and lean into me, you'll hear my voice whispering to you in the dark. Listen to me. I speak words of truth. I guide you. I prepare you. I inspire you. I sing over you, because I love you.

I will give you the strength to carry on. 

I will never leave you alone in the dark. 

With my love

Jesus



Helen Murray lives in Derbyshire, England, with her husband, two daughters and her mum.

As well as being a reader and a writer, she is a student of theology, a master of procrastination, a drinker of far too much coffee and a full-time swim mum. If you get a whiff of chlorine while reading the blog, it's probably because it was written on a poolside somewhere. 

Helen has a blog: Are We Nearly There Yet? where she writes about life and faith.

You can also find her here:


Pinterest: @HelenMMurray
Twitter: @helenmurray01

Comments

  1. Oh this is beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much needed and absolutely brilliant. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is right for me too. Thank you, Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both beautiful and helpful, Helen and written in such a moving and natural way. I especially found the 'stop striving' section so encouraging. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin. You've encouraged me right back. Means a lot. x

      Delete
  5. Thanks for those beautiful words. Very timely - I have already shared them with two of my friends who are going through a tough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! What a lovely encouragement. Thank you very much. I really hope it helps. x

      Delete

Post a Comment