Rediscovering the Joy, by Georgie Tennant


Writing can be a serious business.  If you are dogged by deadlines and your inbox contains an influx of demanding emails from editors, publishers, marketing managers, it can be hard to keep the pure joy of writing alive.  I am not yet in a position to have experienced any of the above – but, as last summer approached, I was struck by a realisation: everything I had written recently was serious and hard-hitting. This was understandable – I have walked paths of pain and loss and writing can be cathartic.  Seeing others connect with it, too, is somehow redemptive.  But sometimes, you need to put all that aside and rediscover the joy.

For the first time, last year, I booked myself onto the ACW annual writing weekend at the beautiful Scargill House in North Yorkshire.  As I left work for the weekend, a colleague spoke some wise words: “I know your writing helps you work things through,” she said, “but try to enjoy yourself – write something just for fun, just for you.”  Her words stayed with me and I did just that.

After a morning of inspiring talks and a bit of private writing time, we had a choice of how we might spend the afternoon.  The workshops on offer, if I recall, were ‘Art,’ ‘African Drumming,’ and some kind of ‘Expressive Dance.’  I was stumped. My stick people don’t even look like stick people, I have about as much rhythm as a toddler at Rhyme Time and – well I’m not even going to try to describe my dancing abilities.  I felt like hopping on the back of the nearest sheep and directing it to the local train station to get me out of there. 

Fortunately, my rescue was imminent.  Martin Horton, inspired by an activity he had done himself, added a last minute workshop to the list.  This one had my name on it.  It is one of my best memories of the whole weekend.  He had come across a poet called Brian Bilston, on Twitter, who had written a poem called ‘Index of First Lines,’ (you can read it here) and had challenged the general public to borrow his first lines as inspiration for their own poems.  Reading his poem was amusement enough, but what followed was just inspired. 
Each of us in attendance, scribbled away, unable to stifle snorts and giggles, as we wrote for the pure and sheer joy of it.  I don’t think anything we produced would gain us first place in any poetry contests, but the level of silliness and enjoyment in that room for that hour were a delight to experience.  Someone wrote about making strudel with her grandmother.  Someone else wrote about the impossible search for missing household items.  My offerings are below.  I don’t promise that they are great literary creations – but I hope they’ll make you chuckle and maybe even inspire you, too, to go off and write something for no other reason than pure, sheer enjoyment.

I am a bowl, chipped at the rim
I am a bowl, chipped at the rim,
I am a lightbulb, low wattage and dim.
I am a spade that’s missing the handle,
I am a flip-flop, not an elegant sandal.
I am a tyre, deflated and flat,
A racquet with snapped strings, no longer a bat.
I am an air bed with a definite leak
A librarian’s door with a very loud squeak.
I am a bowl, chipped at the rim -
Not whole or complete, but still chosen by Him.


Please don’t do that, it’s disgusting 
(based on real - life with my boys!)

Please don’t do that, it’s disgusting.
Why did you think
it was a good idea
to lift the toilet seat
With your tongue?

No, not that either -
Don’t you understand
how many people
have peed in
the jacuzzi water
you’ve just drunk?

Please refrain from that too – 
no – head out
from under his bottom -
You don’t know where it’s been!

I know you didn’t mean to,
but please try
not to fall 
in the dentist’s rubbish bin next time -
it really is quite
awful to think what
might have been in there,
when your head
ended up in there too.


Georgina Tennant is a secondary school English teacher in a Norfolk Comprehensive.  She is married, with two sons, aged 10 and 7 who keep her exceptionally busy. She writes for the ACW ‘Christian Writer’ magazine occasionally, and is a contributor to the ACW-Published ‘New Life: Reflections for Lent,’ and ‘Merry Christmas, Everyone: A festive feast of stories, poems and reflections.’ She writes the ‘Thought for the Week’ for the local newspaper from time to time and also muses about life and loss on her blog: www.somepoemsbygeorgie.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

  1. Thank you for such fun to start the day Georgie. Loved your poems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, thank you so much, Georgie. I didn't realise this little workshop idea would have such an impact. Reading how much pleasure this gave brought a lump to my throat. The ripples of Brian Bilston's poem keep spreading wider and wider. Whether joy filled or moving your writing has power in it. Eagerly awaiting reading your Christmas piece. Blessings, Martin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I enjoyed that workshop too. Was I the strudel one? (I can't remember). If so, it would have been my mother, not my grandmother, as I never knew my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment