NaNoWriMo Prep

I'm sure most of you have heard of NaNoWriMo and know that it stands for National Novel Writing Month. Their website tells us that in San Fransisco in 1999, twenty one people took part in the very first challenge. The challenge being, to write 50,000 words in 30 days. That's 1667 a day, or 2000 a day if you want a day off each week.

In 2017 there were over 400,000 participants in the November challenge, in six continents. The interactive site and forums are financed by fundraising amongst the participants and sponsorship by a number of writing and publishing based companies. There's merchandise available to buy, and a host of online support groups; as well as 'municipal leaders' who support individuals across the participating regions. There's a whole separate website devoted to younger participants. To 'win' NaNoWriMo, all you have to do is reach the 50,000 word target within the 30 days. There are also two other challenges during the year - CampNaNo runs in April and July, with a word count target of 20,000.

This is my fifth time to participate. I've done one CampNaNo - working on my short story collection. I've also done the November challenge three times. I've worked on two non-fiction projects, making me what's called a 'NaNo Rebel.' This is allowed and encouraged, so that non-novelists can get involved. I have written one novel, and this year my project is a also novel.

I've always been a 'pantser' as opposed to a planner, but this year I'm too busy to risk sitting down with a blank sheet of paper, as I usually do. I feel I need to be ready to write, and have lots of the thinking done, so that the short amount of time I have each day, will be productive and free of panicked staring at my computer screen. So, this year I've taken an active part in the October prep, which in NaNoLand is called 'Preptober.' There are lots of prompts and ideas to help the writer get ready. None of the actual writing should be done, or should be counted if done, but it is a time for working on storyline, setting, characters, scenes, POV etc. In the NaNoWriMo Facebook group, many MANY questions are discussed between participants. Here's a small selection...
  • What should I call my protagonist's horse?
  • What is your main character's favourite colour?
  • Fill in the blank; I was flying on the back of a dragon until ____
  • What would your male MC in his late 30s order at a bar?
  • Anyone willing to share experience with adoption?
  • Does anyone know about herbs?
  • I’m on the hunt for lesser known mythological beings...
  • Is anyone incorporating a deaf character into their story?
Most of the questions are not ones I would ask or can answer, but every so often there is one I can contribute to, and I've enjoyed most of my interactions on the page. 


One of the other things encouraged during Preptober is to think about the book cover. It may not look anything like the eventual actual cover, it's more to encourage contemplations regarding how a story can be summed up in an image. I've never done that before, and found it hugely helpful. I had been struggling with the tone of the story, and the journey the characters would take. The working title, 'Gorse Lodge', came to me straight away, after that I didn't have much. Putting some thought into the cover and (sort of) subtitle, has really helped me formulate my plan.

If you've never thought of taking part in NaNoWriMo, it might feel like it's too late for you now. Maybe in the future, it could be for you. It is a great opportunity to get a lot of words down in a short period of time. Fiction, or non fiction - both can be worked on. And even for poets.. there's NaPoWriMo - 30 poems in 30 days.

I can't wait to get started. l'll be knee-deep in NaNo when my next post comes around.
We'll see if I'm still as chipper about the subject then :D

Annmarie Miles is from Dublin, Ireland. 
She lives with her husband Richard who is a pastor in the Eastern Valley of Gwent, in South Wales. She writes short stories, magazine articles, devotional pieces for Christian radio, and blogs about her faith at www.auntyamo.com Her first collection of short stories published in 2013, is called 'The Long & The Short of it' She is working on a second collection due for publication in 2018, and a non-fiction book about being an overweight Christian called, 'Have mercy on me O Lord, a slimmer.'






Comments

  1. Thank you, Annmarie. I was all excitied about trying the poetry version then discovered it's held in April. Will certainly try it out next year though. All the very best with your own NaNoWriMo. Martin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment