More Than Everything by Emily Owen

Back in February, my MTW blog (here) fell at the start of Lent, 22nd, and I rejoiced that for once I had a pre-chosen topic.

Fast forward to May, and I’m asking myself, how could I have forgotten May 22nd?

You see, May 22nd carries a pre-chosen topic for me.

NF2 is the name of a medical condition I have and live with, and today – May 22nd -  is NF2 day.

For the past few May 22nds, I have written (not for MTW) articles about NF2, I have written as NF2 – writing from an unusual perspective is great fun; do give it a go – I have written rhyme, and haiku about NF2. This year, I have written Limericks about NF2.

So why did I rejoice, back in February, that for once I had a pre-chosen topic?

I have one every year!

The only thing I can think is that it’s not a generic reason.

Lent is generic. Lots of people mark Lent.

NF2 Day is specific. I hazard a guess that few – if any – other ACW-ers would claim NF2 Day personally.

Specific was eclipsed by generic.

Personal was hidden by crowds.

Crowd of people with raised hands

I wonder if similar can be true in writing?

There are certainly crowds in writing. Good crowds. But crowds we can get lost in, nonetheless.

‘I am seeing lots of new books (other peoples’)’ crowds.

‘I am doing my best at marketing (hats off to those for whom marketing comes easily)’ crowds.

‘I am hosting a book launch (and I’m terrified)’ crowds.

‘I am editing (trying to convince myself that every word I’ve written is not complete rubbish)’ crowds.

‘I am looking for inspiration (which, no matter how much chocolate I eat, is not forthcoming)’ crowds.

‘I am facing a looming deadline (which I’ve known about for ages but here we are)’ crowds.

‘I got a review (which, after 100+ readings – all mine – is still there, so it must be real)’ crowds.

I am-

Yes, I am.

I can be recognised for who I am, not only for who I am in the crowds that surround me.

As Christian writers, we are daily reminded, in the title of our blog, that we are More Than Writers.

How many of us have stopped noticing the title, much less taking it on board.

The fact that God chose us to write, to enter the above-mentioned crowds, is an incredible privilege.

The fact that He chose us, before we did a single thing, just because we are, is More Than Everything.

Before I formed you in your mother's womb, I chose you...

Jeremiah 1:5

Comments

  1. Thanks Emily, I am facing and struggling with those 'crowds' too. You've encouraged me lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Emily thanks. You forgot to explain what NF2 is for gifted people like me! I admire your talent in writing. I still remember your review on' Stories from the heart' and I believed you. This post is very encouraging. Thanks for bringing the impacr of MTW in focus!!! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia, your comment means a lot. Thanks as well for pointing out what I forgot to explain! NF2 is a condition that causes people to grow tumours on nerves anywhere in the body. The main site is the auditory nerves so, for me, when the tumours (one each side) were removed, I lost my hearing. Thank you again for your interest and encouragement - blessings back to you.

      Delete

Post a Comment