When I grow up, I want to be a writer...

 

Mary Wesley who published her first book for adults aged 71.

But here I am, aged sixty-seven, with numerous short stories and flash published, also articles and book reviews, yet still no book.

 I thought it would never happen.  I don’t believe that God promised me, Rosemary Johnson, a book deal.  He promised eternal salvation to all those who loved Him, which is more important.  Of course, I was frustrated.  Every time I passed the members’ bookstall at ACW writers’ events, I felt myself to be a failure. Nevertheless I made myself understand that there many other ways in which my writing skills can be used for His glory, preaching and writing intercessions in church, in supporting my local Foodbank and in managing the ACW website.      

Then just last September a hybrid publisher, who I will call Fred, accepted my novel, Wodka or Tea with Milk, for publication.  At last, oh at last.  Almost sixty years after that little girl me made getting published her ambition.  However, it hasn’t all been plain sailing.  There have been some hiccoughs along the way and I have spent the last few months wondering if it would really happen or not.  However,  Wodka or Tea with Milk, which should have hit the shelves in the new year, is now with the designer and should be – der-der – published in July.  But God has his own timing, his own perfect timing, and sometimes we just have to wait. 

A few years ago, I had the privilege of working alongside a loving, vibrant but peaceful Christian.  She and her husband were very active in their local church but only one of their three (grown-up) sons was a Christian.  I suggested to her that this was disappointing, but she replied, 'No, I'm not.  In God's time, the other two will believe."

I hope this is not just a smug success story.  Older writers, this is what I say.   I am not the only one.  Many other ACW members have been published later in their lives.  Never, never give up.  Wait for God and his perfect timing.

 

Comments

  1. Thank you for this Rosemary I am knocking on the door of 70 and have written poems, prayers and work reports all my life. I self published my memoir in 2021. I think I’m at some sort of crossroads…..waiting for God to show me where to next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post, Rosemary, which I relate to in many ways. Thank you for sharing. And many congratulations on your book! 🎈💐

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Rosemary - excellent news. I think there are times of waiting in most people's lives - certainly in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! God's timing is perfect and quite frequently not our own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Rosemary! Thanks. Congratulations on your book. Indeed, God's time is the best. His ways we can never really and truly understand. Blessings,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just occurred to me, reading this, how near the word 'writing' is to the word 'waiting'! Just one letter different. As a fellow older writer who's been putting out short-form stuff for many years before anything long-form was published, I am so pleased for you that your novel is finally being released. I remember talking to you about it in the kitchen at Scargill one early morning when we were both in search of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the comments, all of you. 'Wodka or Tea with Milk' is NOT published yet, but things are moving in the right direction now. And, yes, Fran, I do remember many conversations about publication with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment