Are you a rule-obeyer or a rule-slayer?

 

(Photo:writer's own)

I was brought up to believe that if you stick to the rules, you can’t go wrong. 

How many of us remember the following mantra?

At the kerb, HALT.

Eyes left, eyes right, eyes left again.

Then quick march. Left, right, left right.

This was the Highway Code, military style, which small people learnt in the fifties!

Of course it’s wise to obey the rule to drive on the left in the UK, and to give way to traffic on your right at a roundabout. There are lots of social rules that most of us are happy to obey, because they make life run more smoothly. But...

This morning I went into the local infants school with a new volunteer, to present an Open the Book session. There was quite a strict training for running the sessions, and we were instructed not to deviate from the script AT ALL. And so the members of the whole team have NEVER deviated from the script. AT ALL.

Today I was working with a lady who is an ordained vicar, and is married to the chaplain of the naval training base in our town. It was her first time. I am wondering if she had been excused the training for Open the Book, because she had a whale of a time deviating, expanding on what Jesus wants, and giving the children a beautiful example of the power of friendship at the London Marathon, etc..

Afterwards, outside the school, I said how much I’d liked what she said, and that she was lucky to be able to deviate from the script, which we (meaning non-clergy) had been told not to do.

‘Oh, I don’t bother with things like that,’ she said, cheerily.

As I walked home, I thought about rules. The rules of grammar, in particular, and how occasionally you come across a writer who deviates from them. Later I found a list online of ten well-known authors who have ignored the basic rules of punctuation. Is this because the writer was being 

a) innovative? b) brave? c) challenging? d) foolish e) selfish? f) outrageous?

I'd be interested in which answer you would choose, because I think I may overdo it on rules. Example - even when I'm writing a first draft, I am compelled to spell every word correctly, stopping mid-flow to look it up. I had met my Open the Book friend before, and I suspect, strongly, she has a habit of being a rule-ignorer, or perhaps I should say, a rule-questioner, but she is so confident and joyful, I don't think anyone ever minds. 

Human beings are so different and fascinating, and the great thing is, God loves every single one of us. 


Veronica Bright loves telling stories. As a former reception class teacher in a Cornish village primary school, the best part of the day was gathering the children together and making up all sorts of amazing things. Her pupils probably believed there was an elf living in the cupboard, and that the spider who frequented the sink had the power of speech. They inspired her non-fiction books for collective worship and many of her prize-winning short stories, now self-published in three collections.




Comments

  1. Rules are good but they can become an end in themselves rather than a means. Try writing an authentic-sounding piece of dialogue that keeps strictly to the rules. Doesn't work. Neither does the two-word phrase before this sentence as it is not a setence with a subject or object. But I do take the view that to break the rules (there I go again, starting with a conjunction) you need to know them first. They should be broken with precision and thought. I'm sure your vicar friend knew exactly what she was doing and what she could get away with without interrupting the flow of the session. The kind of person who just can't be bothered to learn the rules because they get in the way of their genius has far too high an opinion of themselves, and to everyone else is what is technically known as a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm undergoing a transformation from rule-keeper to someone more flexible when it comes to writing, as I used to be like you - correcting everything as I went along and not being able to sleep if I went to bed having dropped a capital or begun a paragraph in the wrong place. Now I do all that in the edit because otherwise nothing would ever get written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refusing to stop lingering over words and sentences is brilliant advice. Will force myself to try it!!

      Delete
  3. As a neurodivergent person I have always questioned rules, though that doesn't mean I have also 'broken' them. In writing, a lot depends on what one is writing, and for who(m). Dialogue sometimes requires not using shortening we use in speech (like isn't, doesn't). Non-fiction and articles use a different style, concentrating on making things clear. Personally the ruleI 'break' in writing contemporary fiction, are the ones about 'don't start a sentence with 'and' or 'but' - especially as the present WIP is narrated by a young person. However, writing a historical novel, or using omniscient narrator, I'd use more formal language. Most rules turnout to be sensible when one knows why they are there, I think. (Though the reason why we were told not to eat sweets in school uniform? Well not only because it was simply to retain the reputation of the school, but because, of course, navy, white and green sweets are bound to be very suspect...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, rules are usually there for a good reason, but I do admire the boldness of rule-challengers.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Veronica. That lady was being brave. I think I too take liberty in breaking rules for the purpose of being 'innovative' and sometimes 'brave'. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia. I'm glad to hear you are innovative and sometimes brave. We all need to be courageous sometimes, and willing to think outside the box.

      Delete
  5. I tend to follow rules but there is an imp inside me tempted to break them. I often wish those who set rules took the trouble to examine why they were set in the first place. Yes, there are many which seem obvious - and others that need to be explained. (Sheila aka SC Skillman)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it is wise to question rules if they seem to be over-controlling. I wish I had been much bolder as a child!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment