Choosing a book to read, by Susan Sanderson

 Writers are encouraged to read widely to improve their vocabulary, their writing style and their background knowledge. Perhaps there are other reasons, I haven’t thought of. If so, your comments are welcome.

When I was a child I was bewildered by the wide choice of books even in our small local library. I took ages to choose. One day when Mum had taken us to the library, Tawny Owl from the Brownies was there. I hadn’t chosen anything, so Mum asked the Brownie leader for recommendations. She suggested the first of The Chalet School series. I enjoyed all those books.

Nowadays I go to the library with a good idea of what I like to read. I mix fiction and nonfiction, literary fiction and light reading. My index of book reviews I have written includes many authors, although some appear more times than others.

I find it interesting to read books by people I have met. A number of ACW members’ names appear in my list.

A shelfie
Books of local interest have a list of their own. When I joined a reading group at a local branch library (now closed), we began by reading books from the local studies section. It was interesting to discuss the merits of traditionally published and self-published books. We each read a different book between meetings.

Later we used sets of books for reading groups. I read some wonderful books that I’d never have found on my own (and a few I struggled with!). While I was a member of the reading group, I wished that it was a writing group. That was a few years before I began blogging and joined ACW. The members of the local writing group I joined have also brought news of books they have read. We picked books by authors with a first or second name beginning with each letter of the alphabet in turn. Meeting every two months, that kept us busy for years!

Recently I have been privileged to receive requests from one or two publishers to read an advance copy of a book. This month I have two such books to blog about. Although they are both novels from Christian publishers they are very different.

I prefer not to read reviews by other people before writing my own. Apart from short reviews in magazines such as Together, I avoid reviews of books I have not yet read.

Talking to other people results in more book recommendations than I find time to follow up. I have a lists in the back of a few diaries! My intention is to look at them on visits to the library, but often I find something else or have left my diary at home.

The next book I have on my pile is Fran Hill’s, The Cuckoo in the Nest. I was fortunate to win it in a competition she ran, probably due to my enjoyment of cryptic crossword puzzles.

How do you choose your next book?

Susan always wanted to be a writer.  In 2012 she revived her interest in writing with a blogging project to collect the kinds of sayings, which were much used in her childhood.

Susan experiments with factual writing, fiction, humour and poetry.  She does not yet have a book to her name. Her interests include words, languages, music, nature study and gardening  She has experience of the world of work, being a stay-at-home mum and an empty-nester.   She is active in her local community and Church. She and her husband live in Cumbria

Follow her on Twitter https://twitter.com/suesconsideredt

Sue's Trifles and Sue's words and pictures

 

Comments

  1. Choosing my next book is a random process. Sometimes it's what's on my Kindle. There's also a TBR pile beside my bed. Or someone will say, 'Have you read this?' and I'll abandon both Kindle and TBR to chase the recommendation. Or I'll be in a second-hand bookshop and spot something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just borrowed a book from a friend in our Bible study group. I recognised the author's name as one whose books I have read before and enjoyed.

      Delete
  2. I do tend to choose books as to what mood I am in. Also I am asked to review books and I love doing so. I have read books outside of my normal go-to genres because of it, and think that is a good thing. I also pick by cover design in the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joy, there's a right time for a particular book. I've read books I certainly wouldn't have found for myself due to requests for reviews.

      Delete
  3. Partly by indigestion! I can only read so many fictions or Christian books or classics, long short etc. before groaning & having to switch genres. Or it’s very much like a 3 course meal. A starter might be Asterix (not a joke!), main recently has been Jane Eyre, and there’s always a Rebus by Ian Rankin for pud. And Forty Farms, (a superbly written and photographed book of forty farms in the Lake District) in the moments before oblivion. My TBR pile is gathering dust. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I must look out for Forty Farms. I have a page on my blog listing books I have read about the Lake District.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Susan. Thank you. I would say I choose books based on writers whom I have read their previous works and really enjoyed. As soon as there is a release from them, I go for it! It is quite different from reading to review etc. I very much enjoyed Robert seabok's 'Tamarind Tree' which was recommended to me. I actually have the urge to read it again! I definitely will read his next book. I am picky on genres too, so I will not go for horror and dark fiction, for examples, unless I have to review them. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Sophia. Yes, we all have favourite authors. I enjoyed Rob Seabrook's book (Beneath the tamarisk tree) too. https://suestrifles.wordpress.com/2023/02/02/book-review-beneath-the-tamarisk-tree-and-interview-with-rob-seabrook/

      Delete
  5. A lovely post, Susan, and thank you for stepping in. Sometimes I choose by a book catching my eye in the libary - that's how I chose Hazel Prior's book 'Away with the Penguins', other times its' recomandations. I recently joined a book group at work. First choice was 'A Gentleman in Moscow' by Amor Towles. Wonderfully witty and charming. Currently reading 'The Curious charms of Arthur Pepper' by Phaedra Patrick. Only just started it, so too early to comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment