Genre: Using the Tropes as a Tool for What You Really Want to Say - by SC Skillman

Strawberry Hill House, Twickenham, designed and owned by Horace Walpole, author of the first gothic novel in the English language - photo credit SC Skillman

Recent experiences have set me thinking much more deeply about genre. Once author Fay Sampson, multi-published novelist and longstanding ACW member, said to me that she uses her crime novels as a vehicle for what she really wants to say.

I didn't set out to write crime novels, but a story about a family history researcher turned into one without my making a conscious choice. The rest followed. I would never write one that was just about solving a mystery, instead, I weave into them the things I really love - history, sacred places, legends and myths. So the format is to suit the market, but the content is my personal enthusiasm. (Fay Sampson)

So, for Fay, crime fiction is her genre for saying the things she cares about. For me, it's the gothic genre. It’s said that when choosing your genre as a writer, you can only be guided by the kind of books you enjoy reading. The gothic genre has been present in all the novels I have most loved throughout my life.

A suitable setting for a Gothic novel

My early loves were the Brontë sisters: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. I loved Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca, Dickens’ Great Expectations, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Other novels and stories that have (literally!) haunted me over the years include the stories and poems of Edgar Allan Poe, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo, The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, The Turn of the Screw by Henry James and The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole was all I hoped for and more, when I finally read it at last after buying it in the bookshop at Strawberry Hill House, Twickenham, Horace’s gothic mansion.

Strawberry Hill House, Twickenham, Horace Walpole's gothic fantasy of a house -
photo credit SC Skillman

And of course I loved Jane Austen’s satire on the gothic genre in Northanger Abbey – in fact that was one of my inspirations for my current novel.

Actor Tom Hiddleston surprised his interviewer when he was asked to define the gothic genre, and he mentioned that it is a very rebellious genre, providing a way of explaining things that are repressed… ghosts are emotions trapped in time. The genre includes a young hero or heroine drawn out of love to something dangerous,. In short, love and death are at war in the gothic genre.

Alongside his wise definition, the tropes of this genre include unrequited longing, thwarted desires, loss and regret and madness, a young innocent in jeopardy, a claustrophobic enclosed environment, fear of the unknown, family secrets, a subterranean labyrinth, a taste of the supernatural or paranormal. Using these tropes, the writer may explore the deepest areas of the human spirit.

Currently I’m reading The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.  Her paranormal premise doesn’t make ‘sense’ at all, and there lies its power. Her slow build-up of fear, grief and madness among the family is extraordinary. I love to find myself in a novel which is utterly compelling, and I have to get back to it at every opportunity, and the characters and their situation haunts me, and I wake up thinking about them and wondering what is going to happen to them. It’s actually quite a rare experience.  

Recently I found this article online:

“Why we are living in Gothic times” by Hephzibah Anderson

The article was published online on 15 March 2021 and is entitled The Books that are Channelling our Fears. It made me realise how relevant the gothic genre is to current world events. As Christians we are ever mindful of the supremacy of Christ and of the promise represented by him that ultimately love will prevail, but I don't think any of us can be unaffected by the turbulent nature of our times and the fear and uncertainty that besets our world and indeed all of humankind.

Now we come to the reason why I’m refreshing my mind on this subject: the other day I discussed my current novel with two fellow Society of Authors members. I shared that I’m thinking of making changes: more than one agent has mentioned the pitch was intriguing and the writing strong, but as they read the first chapter they failed to ‘connect with it.’ One of my companions, herself a successful writer of gothic YA novels, read my pitch, and immediately said, “She’s got to die.” This gave me a shock as the character in question had a significant role to play throughout the plot. Then all my ideas about this were turned upside down with the thought that the gothic tropes – and the expectations I set up in my own pitch - require that this character should meet an accidental and tragic death – early in the novel.

And so here I am looking again at the gothic tropes and reminding myself, that I ignore them at my peril!

I’d love to hear your thoughts on how well you comply – whether consciously or unconsciously - with the tropes of your genre!


Sheila lives in Warwickshire, and writes psychological, paranormal and mystery fiction and non-fiction under the pen-name SC Skillman. She is a member of the Society of Authors and the Association of Christian Writers. Her non-fiction books on Warwickshire local history are published by Amberley and include Paranormal Warwickshire and Illustrated Tales of Warwickshire; her next book, A-Z of Warwick, will be released in 2023. Her new novel is with publishers, and she is working on the sequel.

She was born and brought up in Orpington, Kent, and has loved writing most of her life. She studied English Literature at Lancaster University, and her first permanent job was as a production secretary with the BBC. Later she lived for nearly five years in Australia before returning to the UK. She has now settled in Warwick with her husband and son, and her daughter currently lives and works in Australia.

 

 

Comments

  1. I avoid horror because of its occult associations, but I do like Gothic (I realise there's crossover here, but I avoid anything gratuitous. Modern horror films are deeply unpleasant). I can find some ghost stories very powerful however, because a ghost story is about unfinished business. 'Wuthering Heights' is all about being haunted by love gone wrong. What stays with me about Susan Hill's 'The Woman in Black' is that it's about a birth mother denied her rights - as terrible and malevolent as the ghost is, her backstory makes you pity her.

    I also love 'Rebecca'. Du Maurier was great at writing horror, actually. Not the explicit horror I shun, but more subtle, eg 'The Birds', 'Don't Look Now', which were both made into very memorable films.

    I once wrote a ghost story in which the ghost takes rightful vengeance on the person who abused them. It was very satisfying to write, but I had to be careful not to overcook it.

    'The Little Stranger' is a very clever novel. The amount of red herrings that Sarah Walters throws at the reader! It's a brilliant psychological study. And that final sentence ... wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you so much about horror, Philippa.I find it difficult when I search for publishers of gothic because they always say 'Horror' and I hate some of their cover designs. I have some mild horror in my novel but I really don't like 'in-your-face' grisly horror and find it totally unnecessary. I like subtle psychological build-up. (Sheila aka SC Skillman)

      Delete
  2. Did you know that I had some of my university lessons in Strawberry Hill House, because it was attached to St Mary's University College where I did my English degree in 1999-2002? We had a lesson on the Gothic 'The Monk' in the old Gothic library in the house with the lights off, and candles burning. I won't forget that lesson, ever! And of course when we read The Castle of Otranto, our surroundings made it seem very real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Fran, I wouldn't forget that lesson either! Whilst going round Strawberry Hill House I found myself thinking of Northanger Abbey. (Or was it the other way round? Whilst reading Norhhanger Abbey I imagined I was in Strawberry Hill House) - one or the other! And when it comes to subterranean labyrinths - I loved it when I read about the one in Horace Walpole's novel! (Sheila)

      Delete
  3. Lovely post. One man's 'sweet genre' is another man's 'bitter genre'! However, I would have loved your ghost story taking vengeance on its abuser.That's a 'good ghost'! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I'm rather Horror-averse but could probably handle more Gothic elements in stories. But I wanted to pick up on your Fay Sampson quote - it's made me wonder if that's what writing 'is'? Can it ever be disconnected to what lies within us? I'm still very new to this writing malarkey but am also conscious that one of the skills of good writers is to weave in what's on the inside without making it too obvious! Having said that I've been studying Jane Eyre recently...Bronte wasn't shy about her views and her Christian spirituality. I'm battling with how we can do the same in this day and age?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment