Sexist Book Lover


 A quick little post scribbled between school runs…

I’m going to let you into a little secret of mine but before I do, please promise you won’t write hate mail to me, afterward. You see, I think that I am a bit sexist. 

I had no idea until a few weeks ago when I browsed amongst the paperbacks, (fingering the smooth, shiny covers and breathing in the gorgeous smell of new, untouched paper) and I realised I deselected a book written by an author I’d never heard of simply because it was written by a man. Shock horror! 

If you know me well, you’ll know that I hate anything to do with injustice, discrimination, or prejudice and yet, I found myself doing just that (Sorry Mark-whatever-your-name-is). 

How many times have I read Matthew 7: 1-3? How is it I am guilty of this very sin?!  Will I now have a litany of men banning my own book simply because I am a woman?

As we know, many female authors have opted for gender-ambiguous or male, nom de plumes simply because they thought they’d sell better. Even JK Rowling’s publisher suggested she shouldn’t use her first name because a female author might put boys off from reading Harry Potter (and that was during the 90s!) 

Now I’m really going to risk your wrath but honestly, in my opinion (and I’ve read many books) I have found female authors sophisticated with their plots, adept at describing emotions and wonderfully imaginative when creating character profiles. I would almost pride myself on being able to tell you without looking at whether the author of a book is male or female. 

However, there are a few exceptions to my rule:

Markus Zusak’s The Book Thief was one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. The prose is a work of art, the words flow like honey, sweet, and pleasurable to read. For me, it wasn’t really the story, or the characters, it was the poetic language. Oddly, I couldn’t get into any of his other books. It was almost as if they were written by a different person.

I loved Yann Martel’s The Life of Pi simply because I don’t think I’d ever read anything else like it and also I felt I got it. I remember discussing it in college and when asked what it was about I answered, “Belief” to which everyone cried in wild exclamations – “Oh yes! So it is!” Perhaps that one is due to my pride! Again, I wasn’t much interested in any of his other work.

Khaled Hosseini – I love all his books. I can’t get enough of them. Wonderful stories are written with passion and a large dollop of real-life experience. I’m only sad he hasn’t written lots more. 

CS Lewis: He was one of my first favourite man authors. I love his Narnia books but that said, I love anything set in the “olden days” I love the history, the boarding school children, and the food descriptions (he talks about food a lot). I did enjoy the fantasy world and the characters but funnily enough, though I love writing fantasy, I’m not a huge fantasy fan (Is that normal?”)

If you are still reading this, (and I don’t blame you if you’re not) I would love to know how you feel. Do you have a preference? Do some men prefer books written by men? Are there more women who prefer male authors? Are you all far more balanced than I am and like a complete mixture? From now on, I am going to make the effort not to be sexist! I am probably missing a whole compendium of books written by male authors that I will simply love.







Comments

  1. Katherine Blessan8 November 2022 at 09:08

    I honestly don't mind whether I read male or female writers. I'm all about the stories and characters. But I do LOVE writing about women's lives, maybe because as a woman it's easier to get into the mind of a woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! I like reading about women too.

      Delete
  2. I think I might be a bit sexist too in that case! I prefer female authors but, like you, there are notable exceptions - Ken Follett, John Ortberg, Nick Hornby for example. But these are mainly because others have recommended them to me. How fascinating! I will definitely try and put my prejudices aside now that I've read your post. Brilliant, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's uncanny, isn't it? The fact we've been selecting women writers even without realising it!

      Delete
  3. Huh, very 'arch,' today, Nikki! Well, now, your piece here is interesting: I looked back a while ago on what I read - and was interested to see that it is mainly women authors - BUT that is NOT by sexist choice - I was actually interested to see that choices made simply by hearing about a book, or browsing a bookshop, had ended up that way! Like you, I would pick our Khaled Hosseini as a male author I've enjoyed and read all his books - plus I Had a big Alexander McCall Smith phrase, enjoying his Scottish humour, and I really go for Tolkein (and avoid the movie versions!), although I'm not otherwise a fantasy fan. Women read without thinking 'they are by women I'll read those' include Barbara Kingsolver, Adhaf Sherif, Kamila Shamsie, Lela Aboulela - the Middle Eastern ones as it so interesting to compare the Muslim experience (within their home countries, and when studying in Western ones) of today's culture and the conflict the younger generations have over faith and progressive attitudes. At present, in contrast with being tied down into editing my own WIP, I'm taking time off from heavier novels and reading lots of 'up-lit' - all women (maybe women are the main up-lit authors?)- our own Anne Booth and Deborah Jenkins, (& do the Issy Smugge books qualify as that?) plus A. J. Pearce ('Dear Mrs Bird', recommended!) I suspect you've tapped into an interesting place for comments today - looking forward to what others think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, it does make one think, doesn't it? Like you, I was completely unaware of my secist habit!! I'm very much enjoying everyone's comments so far.

      Delete
  4. I don't deliberately select authors on their gender. It just so happens that many of my favourite Christian authors happen to be male (Tolkien, Lewis, Philip Yancey, Richard Foster etc). I adore Penelope Wilcock's Hawk and Dove series (and she's just published a new one!)

    There are contemporary female writers whose books I rate highly, eg Sarah Waters, Rebecca Stott. I like the work of some early 20th century women writers like Rebecca West, Antonia White and Rosamond Lehmann. Daphne du Maurier is often under-rated but was a BRILLIANT and influential writer. I consider the Brontë sisters to be geniuses.

    What I DO need to do is to read more authors of colour, eg Toni Morrison.

    I don't think it's unusual for a writer of fantasy not to read much fantasy. I'm a massive Tolkien fan but don't care much for the high fantasy genre (with a few exceptions). But many people who like Tolkien often like historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing that strikes me with the teenagers I meet each week is that they're far less concerned about gender than we older generations are. They don't seem to mind much whether the main characters or authors are male or female, which I find a refreshing attitude. Perhaps their generation is more "gender-fluid" than ours ever were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so refreshing to hear. We try to encourage our young (y5) readers to be open minded about books I've Jacqueline Wilson can be enjoyed by all genders. I'll never forget when one boy hid "the naughtiest girl in the school" under his jumper when walking out if the library - he didn't want his friends to see him with a "girls book"! I think Hunger Games and books like yours, Philip have helped to shift older fashioned ideas!

      Delete
  6. Guilty as charged! I much prefer female novelists as they seem to be kinder to their characters. Most male exceptions for me are comic or semi-comic writers, eg John Mortimer, David Lodge, Nick Hornby. I prefer female poets too: much less pretentious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't mind. For me, it's all about the story. Interestingly, and I've only realised this as I've read your post, all the books I've read reticently are by women. I just finished, today. The Handmaids tale - not an easy read. I'm close to finishing Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Also not an easy read at times, but a fantastic book - and there's a story behind that for a future blog post. And I'm one chapter into The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. As I said, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All fabulous books! Wow! Fried Green Tomatoes - a brilliant book, I'd almost forgotten about. Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Lovely post Nikki! It has never occured to me which gender I prefer. However, I do greatly admire authors who write brilliantly about the opposite sex in characters! And so I love Susan Howatch for being a woman and writing male characters so fantastically! I'm looking at my library now and Frank Pretti is about just the only christian male author, I have enjoyed. When I was in Nigeria, i loved reading from male authors like Elechi Amadi, Aluko, Chukwuemeka Ike,etc and few females like Buchi Emecheta, Flora Nwapa,etc but I wasn't conscious of gender. So I really don't mind as it's all about the story. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! It's been a really interesting subject and brilliant to hear about people's favourite books! 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment