Christmas shopping for writers

 When I was ten, my grandfather – knowing I loved sewing – gave me an old Singer sewing machine for Christmas, one of the beautiful black ones with gold decoration. It was the best present I had ever received, and I used it happily for many years until moving on to an electric machine in my twenties.

So, with the Christmas season fast approaching, I thought I’d be organised this year and think about my shopping before the middle of December. And in case any of my nearest and dearest are reading this, here’s a list of what to get for the writer in your life.

Notebooks. Yes, I know they already have 236 of these piled on the floor next to their desk, but ask any writer if they need another notebook and the answer will always be “yes”. This goes for other stationery items, too. In particular…

Post-it notes. These should come in an array of colours and sizes, so that the writer can develop themes or character arcs around the house. NB. Please do not under any circumstances pinch one of the blank notes for your own use – there is a real risk that the writer will be traumatised because she can’t remember exactly how carrots, tinned tomatoes and mayonnaise fit into the plotline of her gritty crime novel.

Coffee. By this I do not mean a cheap jar of own-brand instant. Go for the best you can afford, preferably with a fancy machine/cafetière to make it in. If you really want to push the boat out, throw in a butler to brew the coffee for them.

Chocolate. Helen of Troy famously had the face that launched a thousand ships, but it was Willy Wonka who had the product that launched a thousand books (or something like that). Again, please buy the good stuff. 

A publishing contract. Admittedly, these are a bit harder to get hold of. But if you really love the writer in your life, isn’t it worth going the extra mile?


And – joking aside – if you really want the perfect gift for a writer, why not buy a copy of their book to give to someone else? If they haven’t (yet) published a book then share a link to an article they’ve written or simply tell them how much their words have helped you.


Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and is married with three grown-up children. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. This is brilliant and every word is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, huge present to have books bought - and READ of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is brilliant! Well said, Fiona! Particularly the chocolate and coffee. Love the Willy Wonka reference too 😆Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'The product that launched a thousand books'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reviews of writers' books are a lovely present too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post Fiona! The last set of gift you suggested I find the best! Gifting friends with a writer's book! Very lovely ideas. Chocolates?? Not sure on tha,for me.Watching my weight!Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment