It's All in the Questions

My first ever freelance writing job began in June 2008. I was heavily pregnant, with two lively little boys to look after, recently moved to Suffolk and feeling rather out of my depth. I had wanted this job (part-time, mainly from home) more than anything and now I had it, I was doubting myself. What did I know about writing magazine articles? My one meeting at the charity office, the only woman in the room, had added to my fears. 

I got my first commission, interviewing the splendidly named Sid Latty about his CafĂ© Church project. A fan of wordplay even then, I wanted to call it, “The Frothed Report”, but I was overruled and it went out as, “More Coffee, Vicar?” My first interview was a strange affair. My boss sat in on it and prompted me. I had spent hours crafting a set of questions and had no confidence in my ability to write a good story. 

Fast forward nearly fifteen years and I’m now an old hand at interviewing. As I’ve mentioned before, sometimes it’s like getting blood out of a stone, sometimes like trying to stem a foaming cascade. Every piece needs to hook the reader in. I’m an anecdotal writer, so I am always looking for the story within the words. Sometimes it’s obvious, sometimes not so much. 

If you’re a freelance writer, you’re never not at work. My brain is always bubbling away with low level facts and knowledge ready to spring into life when required. I spent a lot of my time researching the locale for property pieces and can now knock off a lyrical paragraph on any part of Suffolk before I start rhapsodising about charming period features or thoughtfully planted gardens. I recently had a run of Norfolk properties and had to acquaint myself with a new county. Fortunately, I soon found lots of things to get excited about (AONB anyone?) and was able to craft a couple of decent pieces that got the houses sold. 

Being interviewed myself is a rare treat. Allison Symes very kindly wrote a two-parter for Chandler’s Ford Today and I found myself having to think of answers. She is an excellent questioner and brought out quite a lot of things that had never occurred to me before. “What do you love about writing novels? What do you dislike most?” she asked me and that opened up a whole new train of thought for me. She also asked about my methods of writing. Did I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my characters? I don’t but I will be in the future. 

And that made me think about Jesus and some of the questions he asked. Asking for a drink of water on a hot day doesn’t sound like much, but when it’s a Jew speaking to a Samaritan woman, it’s countercultural and life changing. Hard on the heels of that encounter, it was the disciples’ turn to ask him a question.

“Rabbi, eat. Aren’t you going to eat?

He told them, “I have food to eat you know nothing about.”

The disciples were puzzled. “Who could have brought him food?”

Jesus said, “The food that keeps me going is that I do the will of the One who sent me, finishing the work he started. As you look around right now, wouldn’t you say that in about four months it will be time to harvest? Well, I’m telling you to open your eyes and take a good look at what’s right in front of you. These Samaritan fields are ripe. It’s harvest time!” (John 4).

Recently, I’ve had surprising conversations, unexpected questions asked of me about my faith. Years ago, before I became a writer, when I first came to Suffolk, God showed me the fields around my house and told me there was work to be done. And so there is, with His help. We’re all given a set of talents and expected to use them. As writers, we have a unique opportunity to reach out to others. Sometimes, I look at what others are doing and think that my own work is very inconsequential and fluffy. 

But it’s all in the questions.

What is writing for? Does our work glorify God? Does it point others to Jesus? 

What questions do you ask?

Ruth is married with three children, one husband, assorted poultry and a cat. She is the author of “The Diary of Isabella M Smugge”, “The Trials of Isabella M Smugge” and “The Continued Times of Isabella M Smugge”. Ruth writes for a number of small businesses and charities and blogs and book reviews at ruthleighwrites.co.uk. She has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this get in the way of a meaningful life. You can find her on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok at @ruthleighwrites and at her website, www.ruthleighwrites.co.uk.

Comments

  1. Great blog Ruth. I love asking and receiving questions, which is one of the reasons why I podcast. Good questions can challenge us and make us consider so many things that we just do or take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brendan. I love questions. They can open up a whole new world.

      Delete
  2. Many thanks, Ruth, and it was a joy to interview you, Allison Symes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on the difference that good questions can make. I often listen to TV or radio interviews and think, can't you ask them something no one else has thought of? It makes for more more interesting conversations. One of my favourite questions (which is a kind of icebreaker in any group situation) is 'What were you doing at 11.33am today?'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm borrowing that! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You re so right. It's important to ask the right questions and the answers can often surprise us. That makes for a good interview and an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being surprised. It adds sparkle to the interview doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. Lovely post! Questions! Sometimes, people are giving the questions to prepare their answers for a blog post, etc. That is a comfort zone. What happens when the questions are asked on the spot and demand? How will we fare as writers? I had such an experience at my recent book signing event when it was Audience time. This means we must always be prepared. Like our Lord says, we know not the time, when the Lord will come. I was taken aback when someone asked me if my writings were always for a christian audience? Another was, Are your settings always in Nigeria? I hope to God I answered all questions well but preparation is key! I was also asked - What aspects of your life do you share in your writing? How would you have answered this Ruth? Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean! That's part of the joy of live events and it keeps us on our toes as writers. Now that is a good question! I share things from the past, experiences I've had with the children and at school and work and also things others have told me about. Sometimes they are directly decanted into the book (Isabella's experiences at the dance show and the Christingle did actually happen to me), sometimes I disguise them, but the seed of the story is there.

      Delete
  7. Lovely to hear something about your writing journey Ruth. It's so interesting how each of us is led along a totally unique path. A fabulous post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant Ruth, forgive me but I can't help myself - Latte with Latty? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, I know! Don't think I didn't suggest it at the time. Don't you just love word play? xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really enjoyed reading this Ruth. I agree, a good question (and intelligent follow-ups) can open up a whole new aspect to a story. Incidentally, what translation of the bible are you using here? I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment