Unlocking Nostalgia by Tracy Williamson

Last week my friend Marilyn and I took a little break in sunny Eastbourne.  We had no idea when we booked it some time ago that the temperatures would be hitting unprecedented highs across the country, but we still went as it seemed better to be on the coast than roasted inland. . .

I booked the hotel which was unfamiliar to us, online and I wasn't sure of its exact whereabouts (I'm useless with maps) so it was amazing to discover that it was situated right on the front overlooking the sea, not too far from the pier.  

From our arrival onwards as the minutes and hours rolled into one another and we drifted along the prom and tackled the shelving shingle on the beach; as we  paddled in the calm sea at low tide and took big breaths to jump in the waves and swim in the high tide. . .As we sat on the pier reading exciting novels against the backdrop of lapping waves and hazy scorching sunshine, as we enjoyed fish and chips and eating outside in the breeze of the evening sun, I became more and more aware of a deep ache in my heart, the warmth of familiarity, the pain of longing and sadness, the recognition of pavements I'd walked before, breakwaters I'd climbed over 50 years ago, ice cream parlours that may have changed names but where I'd once sat and discovered the joy of long deep scrummy desserts.

Here I'd been 50 years ago, for 8 years or more.  Eastbourne, a place of safety and comfort.  A place away from home, a free holiday for widows and their children, a gift offered by my dad's place of work after he died.  A time of fun, of safety, of risks of being me.  

Now nostalgia stirred within me, an ache, a laugh, tears, warmth, safety, companionship. What was this happening within me?  This yearning?  How could I find it and put a name to it? 

Thank you Lord for the gift of words and the discovery they bring. 

The words we write as we explore our hearts with the Holy Spirit alongside, open windows into our buried memories, our glimpses of pain, our hopes and confusions, our loss and our joy.  'Why are you downcast O my soul?' That Psalmist explored his own nostalgic feelings as he remembered going to worship as part of a happy throng yet not knowing why he now feels downcast and alone.  

The power of nostalgia - putting pen to paper after my trip to Eastbourne last week helped me connect again with my little Tracy.  A confused lonely child, struggling with undiagnosed deafness, the loss of my dad and abuse from my new stepfather. I hadn't understood how much our annual holidays in Eastbourne were an oasis to me.  A time when I felt I could just enjoy being.  Loving books safely, taking risks by jumping into waves bigger than me.  Enjoying treats like any child.. All these things were rekindled as I walked that achingly familiar prom and strolled the pier.  I took my pen and wrote as I gazed the silver pathway of the setting sun. The words written down clarified the buried ache and I recognised, saw and understood.

Thank you Lord that writing is one of the many gifts you give us to become whole, to discover gratitude and joy, to take the step into peace and life.  Thank you for the beauty of seascapes, of sunshine on water, for the roar and suck of waves on shingle, for books and the worlds they take you to, for ice creams and chips and fun with others in safety. Thank you for your healing presence and immense love.  I knew nothing of you as that confused, scared 9 year old, but you were there.  Thank you,


Tracy Williamson is an author and speaker working alongside blind singer songwriter Marilyn Baker to bring people into intimacy with God.  Tracy and Marilyn share a home together in Kent with their two assistance dogs, Bailey, Tracy's Hearing dog, and Arlo, Marilyn's Guide dog.  



Comments

  1. This is so beautiful, Tracy. Thank you. What a lovely post. You have given me inspiration for my post next month. The experiences you describe are so relatable to everyone of us. Certain places, smells, music, food, objects, etc stir up memories and nostalgia. Church is one place that stirs up memories when I'm singing certain hymns. Praise God for the gift of writing where we pour all these in to poetry, prose and drama! Thank You ,Papa God for our gift of writing.
    My love to Marilyn, Bailey and Arlo. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia and for all your affirmation and encouragement. you are a great blessing! Bless you on your own 'nostalgia ' journey. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday, Tracy. Eastbourne has happy memories for me too, not for holidays, but day visits and passing through on a school youth hostelling trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely Susan/ I'm glad you have happy memories of it too!

      Delete
    2. Wish I'd known Tracey. We could have met for a coffee or lunch :-) and your new Bailey could have met luvly Loki. If you were here on a Sunday we could all have gone to church. Glad you had a helpful time. Did you go to school oin Eastbourne . xx

      Delete
  3. A very moving post, Tracy, and you are so right that often we have to go back and 'be' that child again in order to understand ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran, yes we really do don't we and its wonderful how god makes us more and more whole.

      Delete
  4. Mechelle Frost27 July 2022 at 14:47

    Thankyou Tracey for writing the post found it so encouraging to remind as that’s abba father sees all and comforts and restore all our needs through every season . What a faithful Father we serve . I’m not good at writing but so enjoy reading your posts .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mechelle, I'm so glad you enjoyed it and it reminded you of abba's love. Be blessed. xx

      Delete
  5. Eastbourne is a special place to me where back in sixties I did my nurse training had good Christian teaching and met my husband , 50 years married this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's lovely! Congratulations on your 50th anniversary. bLESSINGS TO YOU!

      Delete
  6. A great story. Isn't it interesting how different places stimulate different thoughts, feelings and ideas? Is that why so many writers frequent different coffee shops, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eastbourne is a great place to live. I seriously contemplated moving to Eastbourne when I retired, but I love Brighton too much. I do try to visit Eastbourne at least once every couple of months, as I have Salvation Army friends there, but haven't managed it yet this year. You should move there if you can persuade Marilyn to go with you. You would never regret it

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a beautiful and moving post. I''ve visited Eastbourne often over the past few years ever since my friend has lived there, ( on Seaside) and love walking to the end of that gold-embellished pier and 'gazing the silver path of the sun across the sea'. I visited it often as a child and it was one of my father's favourite places to visit in the final frail years of his life. Our childhod memories are powerful. There is pain there and self-knowledge and acceptance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment