Self-care for a Christian writer

 

What does self-care for a Christian writer mean?

In mid-July, I busied myself reading the MTW’s blog posts I had missed in days and noticed a trend in these posts. It was advice on how to thrive and achieve as a Christian Writer.  These write ups were backed up with prayers considering what each one of us tries to accomplish in just one day!  I looked at my life as a Christian writer. I have a portable calendar that shows what I have to accomplish each day by God’s grace.  Some days have book launches, zoom meetings, blog write ups, personal newsletters to read or give feedback, review deadlines, TBR list to consider, things to catch up from my part time job, family commitments, social media, etc. In the midst of all this, there are personal challenges and writing goals to do!


 Many of us face personal challenging situations such as dealing with loss, health, family or job issues.   I used to feel disappointed by the few comments on my blog post but now I understand. It can be easy  to think erroneously that  some member’s posts are ignored. This attitude can be transferred to reviews, book launches and ACW group meetings attendance. I know better now.  Looking at my calendar, I realise that I can try my best to support ACW members as much as I can but I must pace myself and try not to be like the proverbial hunter who carried an elephant on his head and tried to catch a rat with his toes but died in the attempt.

The first thing to remember as we are often so advised is to consciously ask God daily for His GRACE to accomplish all He wants us to achieve that day as well as  our writing goals. John 11:40 says that ‘If you believe, you will see the glory of God.’  Believe God’s Word about yourself - you can do all things, you are more than able, you are made in God’s image, all things will work together for your good, He will give you the desires of your heart, whatever you touch will prosper and succeed, etc.

Also,  remember that there is no  competition with anyone. God has a time table for us in spite of whatever we are coping with. God  uses our situations to move us into His purpose. Whether He moves us like a snail or an hare, His purpose for us and our writing will be achieved. He orders our steps with His Holy Spirit. He will make us ready and move us on as He did for Moses.  Let us not be anxious about our pace or accomplishments. God’s time is the best.

 Finally, as Christian writers, we rely on God’s faithfulness, His love and graciousness to trust Him and be content with how far He has brought us in our writing journeys. We see where He began and ended with Job, Joseph and our Lord Jesus. He will grant us unexplainable strength and favour in spite of our unfavourable circumstances. This has been true in my own case because there have been times when I felt overwhelmed or frustrated. Lacking the technical know-how for self-publishing, books to review, meetings/book launches to attend, school work to catch up etc! I asked God for His grace - and He did and sorted me out.

 Yet, are there still things that I haven’t done? Of course, like I haven’t put my recent books in the ACW Book shop or put my books on D2D etc but I must learn to pace myself, be content with what I have achieved so far and ask God for grace for the strength and my readiness.  This is self-care.  Now, at the end of each day, I marvel at what God has enabled me to accomplish and I always thank Him for His grace on my life. 

May He grant your heart’s desires and make all your plans succeed in Lord Jesus Christ’s name. Amen. [Adapted from Psalm 20:4 NLT]

  Are there some things that you are hoping to do by God’s grace and timing?


 Sophia Anyanwu lives in SE London. She is a tutor, writer, poet and Grandma.  All of Sophia’s books are available from her website: www.olusolasophiaanyanwuauthor.com , Amazon or local bookshops.

 #amwriting #ACW #self-care #encouragement #grace

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. A really encouraging post. Thank you Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sophia. It's a great reminder to actively ask God for His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Sophia and encouraging as always. A great reminder that no matter what we face, God's grace is there for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post Sophia which I needed to read. I do find it difficult to trust God's timetable for me but your post filled me with calm and acceptance. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment