Five top tips for a book launch, by Deborah Jenkins

 On Thursday 30th June, I went to a book launch. It was wonderful - lots of books, wine and nibbles and a party atmosphere. Especially lovely, was that, of the 60 or so people at the launch, I knew everyone. That's because it was mine. 

I had been planning this for a long time and had asked for advice from writers, readers and my Twitter network. It was the culmination of many years' hard work on my book so I wanted to get it right. I will never forget it...

But I did learn some things that I thought other book-launchers might benefit from. So here are my five top tips: -

1. Approach bookshops and start planning early on, ideally around 5 -6 months beforehand, as it may take time to find the right place. Think about things like numbers, how people will travel and park, how you will organise and serve food and drink, amplification. I approached around 5 bookshops before a Waterstones in south west London agreed to host it. This was perfect as it's in an area where I know lots of people; it was close to the train station; there was parking in the shopping centre. I did a Sainsbury's internet shop for prosecco and fruit juice and they kindly provided nibbles. N.B Supermarkets won't deliver to individual units in shopping centres but only to the bay where companies receive regular deliveries. I only realised this the day before the launch, when I had a phone call (at the hairdresser's) saying to meet the delivery guy at Bay 3 in five minutes. We now live in Sussex so that was tricky.

2. Offer proof copies to bookshops. The key factor in the decision to host a book launch, seems to be whether they like the book. This seems obvious to me now, but I hadn't really thought that through. When I rang and the manager said she would consider hosting a launch for me, I put her in touch with my publisher and they sent her a proof copy. Apparently, the manager read it, really liked it and agreed to host a book launch for me.

If you are self-published, you could consider taking a proof copy into shops yourself. I think bookshops really get behind authors when they love what they've written and feel able to recommend it to customers. Obvious really isn't it? (I am very slow sometimes.)

3. Organise a cake It makes a wonderful centrepiece, a talking point, a photo opportunity and social media post. Mine was made by someone I know, a very talented baker, as you can see. My publisher loved it and so did Waterstones. Both tweeted photos the day after the launch. 

4. Flowers add welcome colour and pizzaz . I had three bouquets made up, in the colours of the book cover (blue, green and orange) and this really added to the atmosphere. They weren't cheap but having worked towards publication for so long, I felt it worth doing properly. I also dressed as close to the book cover colours/theme as I could (a bit eclectic but people seemed to appreciate it)

5. Keep the formal input concise and simple. Waterstones could offer me an hour and a half on a Thursday evening and I knew it would go quickly. I wanted plenty of time to sign books and chat with friends while we celebrated with drinks, nibbles and cake. I'm glad I kept the formal part to a minimum, as I wanted a party not a presentation.

At the beginning, I welcomed everyone; there were a few words from my publisher; I did a Q and A with a friend (she Q-ed and I A-ed). Then I read a short piece from the book. The whole of that section was just over 15 minutes.

Someone suggested some kind of themed giveaway. This worked really well as it gave people something else to do. As the book is called Braver, we based it around this. 


Finally, if you can, plan some quiet days after your launch. It was wonderful and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but it was very tiring. As ever, I did not factor this in, and would definitely plan some time off if I'm ever blessed enough to repeat the experience. I will certainly remember it forever, that's for sure...



Braver is published by Fairlight Books
It's available from Waterstones , Blackwell's and Amazon worldwide.

Deborah Jenkins is the author of textbooks,  educational articles and novella, The Evenness of Thingsavailable in both paperback and e-book versions.

Deborah wonders aloud about the crazy, inspiring and inappropriate on her blog stillwonderinghere.net 







Comments

  1. Wise words re preparation. You surely deserve your success. Braver is a fabulous book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for sharing your tips, they're very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased! If I can save anyone else from a bit of book-launch-angst, so much the better :)

      Delete
  3. I can testify to the fact that this was a super event and I hope to be coming back to this post before too long to remind myself what being an organised author looks like before I fall flat on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt very much that will happen. Particularly as at least two of these tips came from you, my friend!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Maressa. Great tips, Debbie, things I hadn't considered in my book launches. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Sheila. So pleased to have been of help :)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful and helpful blog! I've never done a "live" book launch so I have taken all those tips on board. Love the dress colours and the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth! I hope, if you do have a live launch at any point, that some of these tips will help x

      Delete
  6. Both my book launches have been on Zoom so far (thank you, Covid) so this is super helpful, Debbie. Thank you. That cake is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have been of help, Jenny! Yes, it really was. I'm afraid it had all gone now (it was delicious too!)

      Delete
  7. I am already nervous of even trying a book launch - it sounds scarier than a wedding party! Must've been fun though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire it was hard work, a bit anxiety-making but worth all of it. Such a wonderful celebration of a very special thing in my life. I would do it again!

      Delete
  8. Great tips, Deborah. I'd just add one thing - it doesn't have to be in a bookshop necessarily. For me, it worked quite well having mine (I had two) in other community places, but obviously it's ideal if you can get a Waterstones etc on board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Katherine. I had originally planned to have one in a private venue actually but I was finding it hard to locate a good one. Someone suggested having it in a bookshop so I started approaching them. I would have quite liked an indie one actually but the problem is most of them weren't really big enough, with simmering concerns about Covid at the time of booking. I so grateful to Waterstones for agreeing to host us in the end :)

      Delete
  9. As authors, we work hard to write and publish books, yet the launch is always the hardest and most daunting part. Your hard work paid off and has given you some wonderful memories and I love your theming with colours. My latest launches have been online ( in fact I have one tonight), but I do miss doing a physical launch with book signings. However we chose to do our launch, it's important to remember to be yourself, create a launch that portrays that and enjoy it. Also, Waterstones are keen to feature a 'Meet the Author' evening. It doesn't have to be a launch, so worth contacting all of your local stores to arrange an event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you're right Brendan. The launch has to reflect out own preferences and personalities. I included these particular things because I wouldn't have thought of them myself. Others gave me great advice and I learned some stuff along the way too. All the best with your launch tonight! Good idea re other Waterstones. That's something on my list when I have a bit more energy for it. One thing's for sure. However you do them, book launches are a lot of fun but exhausting too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You really worked hard. Congrats.Thank you so much! Going to paste this ready for my next book launch! Wish me luck!!!Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds wonderful and so interesting to learn the details of how you went about it. I would also say 'Over-invite people' - I learned that lesson from my 1st launch - there are always people who won't be able to make it on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very useful ideas, thank you. I'm looking into the not so near future. Trying not to run before I can walk!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment