Imposters, Unite!

Ever feel like you’re a fraud and that, one day, you’ll be found out? If so, you’re in good company: research has suggested that up to seventy per cent of people are affected by imposter syndrome, including celebrities such as Tom Hanks, Serena Williams and Emma Watson.

 

On the basis conversations with other ACW members, I suspect that this is something to which writers are particularly prone. We learn of other writers’ successes (and rejections) and feel that our words don’t have the same value. We read someone else’s latest blog post and wonder whether we should delete those works-in-progress on our computer and take up origami instead. Or maybe we eagerly sign up for a writing event, only to notice our confidence shrivelling to the size of a peanut when we find ourselves surrounded by others who clearly KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

 

I don’t think there are any easy answers, despite it being such a common issue. However, there are a couple of things I think may help.

 

Firstly – and most importantly – as a writer who is also a Christian, I believe that God has called me to write. That means my “success” is defined on His terms, not mine. My job is to write in obedience to His call, and to trust that He will use my words to point others to Jesus.

 

The second thing is that imposter syndrome is like a twenty-first century vampire: it doesn’t like being brought out into the light. Each time we share our vulnerabilities with one another, or offer a word of encouragement, the sense of being a fraud and the fear of being "found out" shrink a little. My guess is that there are many sufferers within the writing community, but we can all support each other, if we are willing.

 

My name is Fiona, and I have imposter syndrome. Will you help me?



Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and writes regularly for Together magazine. Her novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. I think you're so right with your vampire analogy! Imposter syndrome flourishes when it's hidden but when you confess it in a room full of 20 people and everyone says, 'TELL me about it!' then it rather loses its power. During lockdown I attended an online meeting with 4 well-known, successful authors - the title of the session was Imposter Syndrome and we were all hoping to hear some tips about how to avoid it, but all that happened was that each of the 4 authors confessed that they felt completely inadequate and fraudulent and they didn't really have any answers. Encouraging, but disconcerting! The level of success made not a jot of difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how prevalent it is, even amongst people you'd think have no reason to feel that way.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, Fiona, if you have it, I certainly do. You have to remind yourself that you are the Chairman of the Association of Christian Writers, that should banish that nasty little imposter syndrome fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila - every time I think I've banished him he somehow sneaks back when I'm not looking.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for that great encouragement, Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true. I think social media encourages this. Just spend some time looking at other writers' followers and likes and you can indulge in imposter syndrome to your heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A timely reminder for me... I was plagued with self-doubt at 1am, awake in the heat. Like you, I know the privilege of God's call to write. We need to trust him more and let go! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, Fiona and happy to help you with imposter syndrome the way I helped myself. Your very first solution for Christian writers is what helps me! As a Christian writer, I believe my gift is from God and this propells my faith to get on with writing and leaving the rest to Him! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment