The Magic Book

 

Behold I make all things new! Revelation 21:5

     This text always used to thrill me! As I reflect on it though I have to admit I don’t like change. The world is all about change – passwords, usernames, windows10, prime ministers. This is difficult for those of us who just want to plod through the familiar as we always have done. As a writer, I am aware that technology changes every day and I just have to keep up with it.

     Three incidents recently left me hyperventilating and reaching for the brown paper bag. Trying to log into the morethanwriters blog produced lots of patience accompanied by expletives.  Interspersing numerous attempts to log in, with a catch-up on FB produced feelings of relief to find it’s not just me. Realising that they are many of us caught up in abhorrent re-runs of the same routine, calmed my ragged nerves. Perseverance did work! Thank you ACW community.

     The second incident sent me running to the “magic book” where I record all passwords and login information, in 200 pages. This time it was the TV, where my husband’s two unsuccessful pin attempts had prompted a warning that a third incorrect one would result in shut-out. Why do we always attempt the same sequence for a second time that produced an incorrect result the first time? Maybe I didn’t quite hit the button in the correct spot? Why do we have so many passwords? Oh yes, because some wise guru told us years ago that if you use the same passwords the fraudsters can scam you more times! This time the “magic book” produced the correct number. As a writer, I need the passwords to log into social media, an essential for my marketing strategy.



  A frozen bank account is a more serious problem. Reporting a possible scam, means your card will be deactivated and your account could well be frozen. It does mean all your money will be safely kept for you. No-one will be able to access it, including you! You have to go in person to prove who you are to get it ‘unfrozen’. One problem morphs into several more.

     All of these life problems take up valuable time when I could be writing. I could be updating those tired manuscripts which have sat in the drawer for so long. That is what I tell myself. Am I procrastinating?

     Catch phrases like, Behold I make all things new, do not account for the pain of disposing of the ‘old’ and the frequently frustrating learning process of the new. Did I mention that frozen bank account needing a personal appearance, is in the beautiful seaside town of Fish Hoek in the Cape, South Africa?

     Praise the Lord, Jesus knows my username and his password is engraved on my heart! I’m new to the blog and hope to be able to offer something of value to the writing community in future posts. In the meantime please accept this rant.

Rosalie Weller, Find me on YouTube channel Reverend Rosalie Weller or website www.rosalieweller.com, bible studies on Amazon

Comments

  1. I feel your pain - nit being able to access things can be so frustrating. You are right; knowing God is in charge helps enormously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passwords are a nightmare, thankfully a tip from a friend helped. Welcome to the community, Rosalie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rosalie, this was a very lovely post that made me realise that I'm not the only one with the 'magic book' or struggling with the ever changing world of technology! I like my old bags, shoes, plates, cups and my lifestyle routine. Change is not easy but with God's help, He will give us grace to adapt it to our writing lives. I enjoyed this post,sister! Tx and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brendan Conboy21 July 2022 at 08:48

    Great blog Rosalie, yes where would we be without that book? I actually quite like change - 'Change is here to stay.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for all the encouragement, fellow writers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment