Spiritual versus Religious by SC Skillman

We may often hear people describe themselves as 'spiritual' but not 'religious'.

Some lifelong Christians may find it challenging to imagine themselves into the position of someone in this society who feels deeply 'spiritual' and to be 'on a spiritual path' and yet want nothing to do with the church, or with what they see as 'established' religion.



I explore this in my novel Mystical Circles, largely based on my own experience.

Set in the beautiful Cotswolds hills, not far from my present home, it focuses upon an esoteric group based in an idyllic retreat centre, in a converted farmhouse. When freelance journalist Juliet discovers her young sister Zoe has fallen in love with the charismatic leader of the group, she hurries there from London, terrified it's a cult and determined to rescue Zoe. 

But she is unprepared for what her investigations will uncover. Intrigues, liaisons and relationships flare and flourish or fizzle out quickly within this close circle, and despite her reservations, Juliet is drawn into the Wheel of Love… with completely unforeseen consequences.

This gives me a wonderful opportunity to explore many of the different personalities I have encountered in such groups, along with the charismatic leaders who have enthralled me in the past, before I became a Christian. 

Christianity, of course, is not proof either from the allure of charismatic leaders: as St Paul says, 'Beware of false prophets: by their fruit may you know them.'



My own past journey led me from the insights of Laurens Van Der Post and Sir Alister Hardy of the Religious Experience Research Unit at Oxford, onto the inspirational writings of Dr Raynor Johnson via a mystical mountain in the Himalayas (Mount Neelkanth near Badrinath) to a dream yoga course in Brisbane Forest Park. The retreat centre for Mystical Circles draws upon many such places I've visited but one of the main ones is Hawkwood College, near Stroud in Gloucestershire, where I spent an enchanting weekend with a spiritual study group.

I also must have explored most of the spiritual (non-Christian) opportunities London has to offer, when I lived there: from the Theosophical Society to the Spiritualist Association via White Eagle Lodge in Kensington. The teachings of Bhagwan Sri Rajneesh by no means passed me by; lured from a talk in the Charing Cross Hotel, I spent a weekend at his Hertfordshire branch Medina Rajneesh. In both places I experienced Dynamic Meditation and his own brand of group therapy. All this has provided a rich source for my fiction.




Since then I have been delighted to read books by authors familiar with some of my experiences: London: A Spiritual History by Edoardo Albert and The Battersea Park Road to Enlightenment by Isobel Losada both strongly resonated with me.

When it comes to putting these kinds of experiences in a novel, though, I believe that character and their motivations and relationships come first, and plot often arises as you get to know your characters really well and watch them responding to and reacting against each other. So I started with the colourful medley of people I have met during the course of my journey and let them drive the plot. The inevitable conflict of idealism, real life, troubled, vulnerable people and those who are tempted to exploit them, forms a rich mixture. 

One of my favourite characters is Theo, a troubled young Christian clergyman, sensitive, discerning, but himself very vulnerable, who is is all about 'coming alongside those on a spiritual journey'.

I loved writing Theo. After Juliet, he too is something fresh who enters the hothouse environment of the group, and he believes in listening to people in a non-judgmental way. He helps others see themselves differently and how they might move forward in their journeys of self-knowledge. But also he is someone whose background hides a mystery and that creates an extra sense of intrigue about him.

Using our own experiences in fiction is a rich source of raw material, and I wonder how many of us can say that is true of their own novels, or whether it has mostly come from rigorous research and imagination?



SC Skillman lives in Warwick and writes psychological, paranormal, mystery fiction, and non-fiction about local history. She is the author of 'Mystical Circles', 'A Passionate Spirit',  and 'Perilous Path' under her own imprint (Luminarie); and her books 'Paranormal Warwickshire' and 'Illustrated Tales of Warwickshire' are published by Amberley. Her third book for Amberley, 'A-Z of Warwick' is nearly complete and will be released in 2023.


Comments

  1. Oh, both, yes - but pretty much disguised - though sharing y work with someone who had inspired a particular character, I found myself writing to him 'It's not autobiographical' - which it wasn't but the inspiration was... Your spiritual journey is remarkably wide ranging, how happy you've settled where you have - mine has ranged, but through different denominations - we learn as we grow don't we, and as you say, experiences can be a rich seam for fiction writers and resonate with readers.

    I think it's time to try 'Mystical Circles'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare. I don't know if I would share my work with someone who'd inspired a character and say, 'Character X is inspired by you' unless of course it was a positive character! However, I find people are notoriously diverse, not only in the way they review a novel but also in how they might choose to respond to the way they have been portrayed as a fictional character, even if the author thinks it's positive. I reckon it's safer never to tell anyone they inspired a character, unless they themselves take the initiative having read it! I can trace each of my characters back to the 2 or 3 real people who inspired them. One of them in Mystical Circles was my favourite person at a place where I worked. If I explained to that person why they were my favourite they might not feel particularly flattered! Yes please do try Mystical Circles. I can mail a signed copy or you could order it online.

      Delete
  2. I wonder whether it's even possible to write a novel that isn't, to some degree, inspired by our own experiences, opinions, thoughts, fears, confusions etc. That gives our writing an authenticity, I think, which is good. I suppose there's a difference between 'inspired by' 'and 'based on' or 'rooted in'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very much so. Being 'inspired by' may result in something very different from the original, but 'being based on' would mean a much stronger, identifiable link.

      Delete
  3. Most fiction writing is largely dominated by the writer's conscious and subconscious experiences, thoughts and buttered with imagination. True of my writing. And yes, confusions, as Fran said! Of course, I do agree that some elements of research is necessary to give that authentic feel. Lovely post, Sheila. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ypu Sophia - you describe the process so well!

      Delete
  4. The reactions to London: A Spiritual History have been very interesting: in terms of sales, it's been a disaster. However, from the small number of people who have read it, it's elicited stronger reactions than probably anything else I've written. For those of us visiting bookshops in Cecil Court and searching for some way through the spiritual wastelands of the 70s and 80s, it seems to strike a chord, and that's good. I've received emails about this book from all over the place, from people, like yourself, who wandered down all sorts of byways. So while it's not been read by many, it has resonated with those who have read it. I will have to read the books you mention myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so unaccountable how some books sell well and others don't - and this applies to books of equal merit. I loved your bookcover - it sprang out at me from the table in the bookshop..Book buying is also mood driven..Yours was just the right thing for me to find at the right time. I am so pleased you have had some strong positive reactions from others like me.

      Delete
  5. Such an interesting journey! Your book is sitting on my TBR stack and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maressa and I hope you enjoy the book when you read it - an Amazon review would be greatly appreciated!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant book and I’m loving the background to it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear that Wendy. I certainly mixed with a colourful medley of spiritual seekers and charismatic leaders... I remember the vast majority with affection.

      Delete

Post a Comment