When can I call myself a real writer? by Joanne Gilchrist

 



Hello! I’m Joanne and this is my first blog post for More than Writers.

In 2014, I believed God was calling me to write. My youngest daughter started preschool so I saved three precious hours a week to put two book-ideas into words. Later that year, I wrote ‘writer’ on my tax return for the first time but I didn’t yet have any published work to my name, no website or mailing list. How could I be a real writer?

I went to the library for books on ‘how to be a writer’ which all told me –‘Don’t waste your time, it’s a dying trade’. I Ignored them and bought myself a copy of ‘Writers and Artists Yearbook 2015’ instead.

I didn’t feel like a real writer yet. I wrote it on my tax returns as my job but I never said it out loud.

I thought… once I’ve published a book, then I’m a real writer.

I was published in 2017. But I still didn’t feel like a writer yet.

When I’m a successful writer, then I’ll be a real writer, I thought.

But what’s a successful writer? How many books must you sell to feel successful? Is it enough if I break even or do I have to make a profit or even a living to feel like a writer?

Or is it something less materialistic? Perhaps if someone quotes my work back to me or if someone tells me that God has spoken to them through my writing, will I feel like a real writer then?

The threshold I’m at right now is an ironic one  – I’m so busy promoting my published works that I hardly ever have time to actually write. Oh, I write emails and social media posts and press releases to try to sell my books and share my work, but I have to make a huge effort to carve out time to do the kind of writing that I love. So how can I possibly be a real writer now?

Perhaps one day I’ll return to the simple joy of writing for writing’s sake and then I’ll be a real writer.

So the threshold of success, the magical moment when I can finally feel like I'm a ‘real writer’ will always be... the next one.

And therein lies the problem. Like climbing a mountain: when you think you’ve reached the summit only to find that it’s not the summit and you have to keep climbing… at what point are you a climber? When you reach the top of the mountain and stop climbing? Was Edward Hilary only a climber after he conquered Everest?  No, you’re a climber when you take your first step onto the foothills of that mountain with a view to going up it.

And that’s when you’re a writer too. The first time you jot your thoughts into words just because they longed to be written, you became a writer too. Whether you’ve just started on the foothills or striving up Everest, don’t wait till you’ve reached the top to call yourself a writer because there’s always one more summit ahead.



Joanne Gilchrist is mother of 3 and runs the charity, Ruach Resources, which is the home of God for Kids app and the Animals of Eden Valley series (a series of one at the moment - called "Who Made God?" - but I'm working on it!). 

She also wrote the autobiographical "Looking for Love" and freelances for the SunScool app. 

Comments

  1. What a great post, Joanne, especially for a first one. I've published hundreds of articles and written two fairly unsuccessful books and had a few poems published but I still question the fact of whether I'm actually a writer. On a recent form rather than self-employed, which I've put before, I put 'retired'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A real writer is someone who writes! Simple as. A great article, Joanne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mountain analogy! That's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done - a great first post. And I think you will find lots of us feel exactly the same. I am gradually getting used to calling myself a writer. I used it as a job title the first time in the opticians last year - of all places! But calling myself an 'author' I still find sticky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Joanne. I find the phrase 'impostor syndrome' (or 'imposter syndrome' for those who prefer the 'e') has a sneaky habit of attaching itself to us. Thankfully, we know the One who has the plans for us ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful wise piece, Joanne. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A brilliant post! Most writers don't feel assured to belong to the illustrious body of Writers till they have published a book. Me inclusive. I have been writing poetry since 1979 but did not feel justified to label myself a poet till a week ago! Honestly, thanks for this post, Joanne. Had I seen your post a century ago, I would have been so glad and uplifted. Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to More Than Writers, Joanne! I still struggle with it - I think we all do. At the risk of using a hoary old cliche, perhaps it's all in the journey rather than the destination. I've recently started selling books at fairs and people are genuinely amazed to be sold a book by the person who wrote it. We don't see enough of that sitting behind a laptop but that magic is still out there. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment