Titles and People with Titles


One of my jobs as ACW Webmaster is to post details of members’ books on the ACW website.  Unfortunately, there is not enough time for me to read all of them, so what stick in my mind are titles.  (No, this is not a how-to post on writing titles for your writing.  You can read on… safely.)

Don’t Fuss, Trust God, Don’t Fuss
by Ruth Bamforth, about which I uploaded information on the Christian Living page (https://christianwriters.co.uk/christian-living/), is a collection of sermons given by her father, The Reverend Stuart Bamforth.  I have not read this one (Sorry, Ruth), although it’s on my TBR list.  The title is so magnificent in itself that I almost don’t want to open it.  Right now, as I’m fretting about all the things I need to do before travelling to WOWIG (the ACW Jubilee at The Hayes in Derbyshire) next Friday, including (paid) working three whole days beforehand, it does me good to remind myself not to fuss and just trust God to get everything done. 

I also need to think about The Quickest Way to Overcome Stress and to Pray Without Straying (both by Peculiar Medinus and on the same page.) Meanwhile, my mouse hovers over Cold Cups Of Tea And Hiding In The Loo by Annie Willmot (also on Christian Living). Although Annie is writing about parenthood, I’ve been drinking too much cold tea recently. (Nothing worse than cold tea - unless it’s cold coffee.)

On the same subject (sort of), a fortnight ago, Katherine Blessan asked me to post details of her new book, Home Truths with Lady Grey on the ACW website, so I did and then emailed to tell her I’d done it. ‘No, no,’ Katherine emailed back. ‘My book belongs on Contemporary Fiction, not Historical Fiction.’ Now why, Dear Reader, had I assumed Katherine’s book was historical? Clue: ‘Lady Grey’. People with titles, eh?. Too much Jane Austen and Regency fiction going around in my head. I moved Katherine’s book as requested (https://christianwriters.co.uk/contemporary-fiction/) The Lady in question was… tea… by the way.
I understand that literary agent Tony Collins will be speaking at WOWIG. His own latest book (not on the ACW site) is They’ll Never Read That: How to Make Mistakes in Publishing. If only he’d asked me! I could have provided him with any amount of unreadable – and unpublishable – writing.

Rosemary Johnson has had many short stories published, in print and online, amongst other places, Cafe Lit, Scribble, Friday Flash Fiction, The Copperfield Review, Fiction on the Web and 101 Words.  She has also contributed to Together magazine and Christian Writer.  She has also written a historical novel, set in the Solidarity years in Poland.  In real life, she is a retired IT lecturer, living in Suffolk with her husband.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this, Rosemary. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all make mistakes and we all fuss as humans! Is it possible not to fuss?No! Is it possible to trust God? YES!! By his grace alone. Lovely post. Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thank you so much for taking our books and sorting them in to the ACW Website!! May God bless you richly. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the same mistake initially, thinking it would be a historical novel! Lady Grey tea, not the person! See you in Derbyshire

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment