Collecting Photos for an Illustrated Book - by SC Skillman

For those of us who have the chance to publish a travel book full of stories and photos,  it may seem a perfect opportunity to combine your text with visual inspiration as well. I  have been very grateful to Amberley Publishing for signing me up to write highly illustrated books. My books for them so far centre upon my own home county, Warwickshire, so I don't need to drive further than one and a half hours to gather the photos. I take many of the photos myself and also have the assistance of my able photographer son Jamie who is skilled at getting an interesting angle.



However it is fascinating to learn all the challenges involved in finding the right photos to accompany the stories I tell. Sometimes, the story I planned to tell changes its focus because I want it to accompany a fabulous photo. Other times, I have the perfect story: and no suitable photo to go with it.  I hate having to resort to the internet to source photos with a licence 'free to share and use commercially'! I consider it a matter of honour to ensure that the vast majority of the photos are new and original.



On my photographic trips, I discover an ideal photo opportunity - but the contrast between glaring light and shadow is too strong, or the sky is grey. Then I have to go back to that place again at a later stage, when the weather is right. So that involves being ready for the off at the right time of day, and as soon as the sky is blue!

Another difficulty I find is cars and people. Right now I'm researching for my new book A-Z of Warwick and I want to take photos of the 15th century houses in Warwick's oldest street. I realise I need to get up very early in the morning to snap those houses without myriad cars in front of them.



In some respects the zealous local Council is my enemy. They love putting up brash signs in front of historical gems, banning people or warning people or ordering them not to do something.



My talented daughter Abigail however is an expert at photo-shopping pictures and I've already sent a few to her. She has expertly removed bright yellow Warning and Parking signs, Council planning notices, and cars from my photos. She has even put a blue sky in an otherwise perfect photo! Wonderful.  One photo was of the lovely historic Mill Street in Warwick, from which you may obtain a magnificent view of the castle. Abigail had taken a photo of Mill Street from the castle battlements. I loved it  But it was full of parked cars. Then she sent me the same photo again, minus the cars. At first I thought, 'How on earth did she manage to get that photo?' Then I realised: 'Photoshop to the rescue again!'

I hope you enjoy some of the photos here, a brief taster from my forthcoming book A-Z of Warwick.


SC Skillman writes psychological and paranormal mystery fiction. Her novels include Mystical Circles and A Passionate Spirit. She also writes literary non-fiction for Amberley: her published books so far are Paranormal Warwickshire and Illustrated Tales of Warwickshire. She is currently working on A-Z of Warwick, and her latest novel Director's Cut is with publishers and agents.  She also has a new novel in progress, Standing Ovation, which is the sequel to Director's Cut



Comments

  1. Interesting - and needing quite some dedication!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. It can be a frustrating process. In fact I would say collecting all the right photos is even more challenging than writing the book!

      Delete
  2. That was really interesting to get an insight into some of your secrets. I'm reading your book now and the colour photos really do make it attractive and a great accompaniment to your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Fran. Yes, the reward comes when people enthuse about the photos in reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Sheila, taking your own photos. I have never learnt the art of it that well, even with a mobile phone. So often my photos are blurred or missing heads or other parts! It's a good job that my husband, Angus, and family are good photographers for my words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, getting the right photo is often as difficult as choosing the right words in a book! I am, right now, for my book 'A-Z of Warwick', drawing up a list of photos I need to retake, either because they're out of focus, or the apex of a building is cut off, or there's something in the way of the main subject. One of my photos is of an eagle flying at Warwick Castle falconry show. I'll have to attend the show again on a day with a blue sky to get a better photo of Henry the eagle! It's a good thing I have an annual season pass for the castle!

      Delete
  5. This is so interesting Sheila and your photos are gorgeous. I bet the books go down a treat in your home area. I'm so looking forward to reading it, being from down that way myself! They reckon people are more reluctant to read these days but very happy to watch videos and look at photos so I think you're onto a great thing with your publisher there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah. Yes I hope it is a good selling point when a book is full of pictures too!

      Delete
  6. A fascinating insight, Sheila! I love the photos in your books and it had never occurred to me that you might have to wrestle with annoying parked cars and council signs. It's a family affair, obviously, and your photos are always stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. Yes I have become quite cunning at getting an angle that avoids whatever obstruction is in the way. Sometimes it means the image is much more interesting.

      Delete
  7. That's fascinating! I love your pictures, they cheer up my feed on insta... Love the use of photoshop, although it's making me look at pictures differently!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I've enjoyed the photos and they are certainly a good taster of what is in your new book. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment