A stand-out moment by Jane Walters

I’ve been having a busy time of it lately but, since it’s involved doing all kinds of things I love, I’m not complaining (well, not too much). Of particular note are the two Ready Writers events I led in April. The first was a regular weekend retreat but it’s the second one I want to focus on here. Back in January, I was approached to lead a set of writing workshops in Derbyshire, for which the organiser was applying for funding. I was looking forward to getting involved with this large-scale community project but then the news came through that only half the hoped-for funding had been approved. Rather than cancel me completely, I was asked if I would lead a session on lyric writing, to support their aim of recording some original songs. A few ups and downs later, last weekend I made the trip and prepared to meet the wannabe writers.

I started off with some brain-storming on the theme and some practical tips and pointers, then encouraged them, in small groups, to get going. Here’s where it got interesting. One lady had put her hand up at the beginning to say she’d previously written poetry and, after a while, I checked in with her to see how she was getting on. She’d produced about eight lines of verse, neatly written out, with an acceptable rhythm and rhyme. I asked her what the song was about. I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. Her life-story, which I’ll keep confidential, had me open-mouthed. My heart went out to her and what she’d gone through. I found myself pausing, one ear tuned into what the Holy Spirit might be saying. I heard myself say, ‘The thing is: it’s not really what you’ve put down here, is it? I mean, these verses are great but they’re not really telling your story, like you’ve just told me.’ With her permission, I grabbed my pencil and started jotting down some lines. I showed her, explaining they were just suggestions, and she agreed that this was more like it!

The detail in her story that seemed to resonate most strongly was that she’d eventually been saved from her terrible situation by a travelling man. When she shared that line with the whole group, there was a collective gasp, with one lady saying, ‘Oh, the travelling man could be Jesus!’ We all agreed that this powerful image would create an amazing song in due course.

For me, it served to show that the honest telling of our stories is powerful in itself, but all the more so when shaped and polished with well-chosen words. Perhaps that will inspire you today. Do let me know in the comments.

 

 Jane Walters is the author of Too Soon (Jane Clamp, SPCK) and vice-chair of ACW. She leads Ready Writers retreats and workshops in various locations. Find out more at www.janewyattwalters.com or follow @readywritersretreats on Instagram.

Facebook: Jane Walters, author and speaker

Twitter: @realjanewalters

                                            


Comments

  1. Thank you, that's a beautiful example of what writing can be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? And it felt such a privilege to be part of it.

      Delete
  2. This is what I've always loved about teaching (despite all the hassles) - that moment when you've teased out of someone what was there in the first place but which they didn't know how to express.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,. kind of acting as translator and interpreter. An amazing privilege.

      Delete
  3. Wow that is powerful. Just knowing how to express what really matters that is inside us - that's the ultimate goal of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great insight, Sheila. I guess so many of us see being published as the ultimate goal of writing, but I love your version better!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I dare say it was a healing experience for that person too, to put into words the deepest of things. Love this. Love how Holy Spirit works too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. She certainly seemed pleased. I think God was, too :)

      Delete
  5. This goes to prove that we can't do stuff ourselves and need the help and inspiration of other writers, comments and feedbacks from buddies and beta readers to bring out the best in our art. Thanks for helping out that lady. Lovely post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, what an amazing and inspiring story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great testimony, Janey! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment