Death has lost its sting - By Sophia Anyanwu

O Death, Where Is Thy Sting? 1 Corinthians 15:55a [KJV]

On Sunday, May 22nd, 2022, I had cause to think about death reflectively because it came right to my door step. Many of us might have written devotions, dirges or used death as a tool to eliminate a character in writing so that the effect of grief is impacted. I lost my parents years ago but I wasn’t personally there in their last moments as I had been with my darling sister, Elizabeth. How many of you have watched a plant, a loved pet or a loved one die in stages?  God gave me this most unusual experience for His glory. Death has lost its sting!

The other day, I was greatly amused when Brendan talked about weeping over the last chapters of his edits.  Some readers weep when a beloved character dies. Yes, I have felt raw anger towards writers for taking away a beloved character, especially if the character was a Christian. I had expected   God to heal or restore life because He is a miracle working God. Similarly for Elizabeth, I had fasted, prayed, sang, wept, hoped and daily visited this sister of mine. We were bound by blood and law. I had kept expecting her ‘to rise up, pick up her mat’ and follow us home – even till her last breath. No miracle of healing as God had done for Matt McChlery and some others. God’s miracle came in a different dimension. She never let go of her faith and love for Christ. Till her last conscious breath, she had said, It is well. The Lord is with me! Death has lost its sting!

 She wasn’t up to 70. We were both waiting for her daughter to get married and have children. We had prayed and fasted together about many things. She was my praying partner, adviser, helper and she housed my family and I for a whole year when we first arrived in UK.  Joel Osteen advised, ‘God puts an end to things we don’t understand. Don’t put a question mark where God has put a period. Don’t keep moaning over something you cannot change.’ Thank God for His Word in Proverbs 24: 10 which encourages. 'If you faint in the days of adversity, your strength is small.’ We need to ensure that when things are not as expected, we should not be discouraged, especially in our writing careers. We shouldn’t give up or quit! If any of you are going through challenges in your health,  home, family, business, marriage, finance or writing, please encourage yourself in the Lord. A friend said that my sister’s death had not been sudden. She had known and had ample time to set her house and heart in order. Well. Death has lost its sting!

On Facebook, I posted a message about my sister’s demise.  I was greatly overwhelmed by over 150 responses of people giving comfort, courage and consolation.  Even on Twitter! I seize this golden opportunity to thank you all again for your blessed words of comfort and peace to me at this season.  I hope you too have been encouraged that ‘Death has lost its sting’! My sister, Elizabeth lives on and will live eternally. I will get to see her someday. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ for that.  Revelation 21:4 – He will wipe every tear from their eyes and there will be no death or mourning or crying or pain; the old order of things has passed away. Death has lost its sting!!!

 

#ACW  #Death  #Encouragement  #amwriting  #Victory



 https://bit.ly/3isgPDc

https://amzn.to/2WMUTdx

https://bit.ly/3j0oPuy

 



Sophia is a poet and author to God's glory!



Comments

  1. Sophia, what a brave, beautiful blog! God is smiling upon you for your faith and joy in Him. It hurts so much when we lose someone we love and I pray that you will find comfort in friends and the kind words of others. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN!!Thank you so much for your beautiful comments and encouraging words, Ruth. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your sister's parting with us. You reminded me that in every situation we learn a little more about God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Veronica. I certainly did. Thanks for your comments. Blessings.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing. So beautifully put, your words are a blessing as always!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment