Prayer Journalling

 


For some years I’ve kept a prayer journal.

Now that sounds very formal but, in fact, it’s just that I find it’s easier to concentrate if I have my regular conversations with God in writing. So the entries can be as formal as lists or as meandering as my distracted thought processes (although, writing helps keep me more on track). I do try to have some structure, which at the moment tends to be:

-          - Listing things I thank God for

-          - Noting quotes that stand out from my current devotional book

-          - Reflecting with Him on how I’m feeling

-          - Bringing concerns to Him

Over the New Year weekend, I decided to read back over 2021 to see if there were any particular themes or blessings. And this is what I learned:

1.      1. Definite answers to prayer. For example, in previous years, I had clung to and challenged God with His Biblical promise ‘I will restore the years the locusts have eaten’ for my youngest, who developed bipolar whilst at university. The illness took away so much but this summer, after five rather than three years, he graduated with a 2:1 and a prize for resilience!

2.     2.  And ongoing prayer requests, especially for my family’s health, but the answers so far give me confidence to keep going.

3.      3. How much wisdom and comfort I found in devotional books. Recital of Love by Keren Dibbens Wyatt has been a great source of both.

4.      4. My need for self care, especially sufficient sleep and how much it impacts my mood. God continues to be very patient and consistent in reminding me about this. And I continue to be a slow learner!

5.      5. How many times during prayer times I have been inspired for blog posts or writing ideas still to be developed.

6.      6. Following a structure is a useful discipline but sometimes it’s good to go with the flow. I found poems and descriptive pieces I’d forgotten I’d written.

7.      7. Unfinished books to go back to. I seem to have abandoned more books than ever this year. So I’m going to try to finish them before buying any new ones.

8.     8.  Perhaps most encouragingly, how much I’ve prayed over the year. Past journals have had a lot more gaps! I wonder if the simpler life that pandemic restrictions forced us into actually gave me the chance to develop a more regular routine?

It’s the first time I’ve formally reviewed a prayer journal over a whole year but I will do it again, maybe make it a New Year habit.

I’d encourage others to try praying this way too, if you don’t already. And if you do, have you reviewed it? What have you found?

We’re writers, so this is a natural way for us to express ourselves. And it can be another way to use our gift for God. I think it can be a form of worshipping Him.

It’s easy to think that ‘real’ writing is when it has an audience of some kind. My prayer journal made me realise Who the most important audience is.


Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adults. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at
https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/, has two WIPs and more ideas in the pipeline.


Comments

  1. I keep a prayer journal too, although I wrote in it much more when my children were younger. But like you, I love reading back to things I was struggling with to see how God has answered and helped. Encouraging to see your answers too. So pleased for your youngest. Thanks for reminding me to get back to doing this, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a prayer journal. My natural instinct when needing to pour out my heart to God is to journal it.

    I keep a separate notebook for prayer answers, as it is so encouraging to look through.

    I also keep a separate note book for anything I feel God is particularly saying to me whether that be for Scripture or the writings of somebody else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do this when I was in the thick of it, back in the day. I've started making time for quiet time every day and doing YouVersion and that's made a huge difference. But this has reminded me about that journal - I'll look it out. So glad to hear about your youngest - resilience is one of the greatest qualities we can encourage in our children! Looking forward to reading your next blog on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Liz. I too write my morning conversations with God - and a very strange mix they are of prayers, concerns, thanksgiving, bits out of books I'm reading, ideas bright or otherwise. I had planned to reread just before New Year but chickened out! You give me courage to pull out those journals and see what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful that you were able to look back and see your relationship with God at work, Liz. I'm very glad you have been finding my book helpful, that's a great encouragement to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good idea! Thanks, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so encouraged to hear about everyone else's prayer journals. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea :-) Some years ago a friend and I used to especially do journals during Advent and Lent... very interesting to look back on those - we included drawings...Not doing this at present but I 'm keeping a book on homilies from church, which have been especially good on teaching in depth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great idea but would this be on a daily basis. I do prayer points when I'm fasting and praying. The good thing about this practice is that one can tick off those prayers that have been answered. Great idea! Lovely post . Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely encouragement. I have started so many diaries over the years, but usually they only last about a week... Maybe I'll try again, as I have some lovely notebooks. I loved the way it helped you to look back, that's a wonderful thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I do have a prayer journal but I haven't made any entries for a while. Your post encouraged me to return to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your blog post Liz. I kept a Journal for many years. It helped me enormously disentangling parts of my life. In the end I filled some 35 odd A4 hard backed exercise books. It filled 2 foot of book shelf. Then without seeking anyone's advice, I burnt it all. Now I write on my laptop under the title of God Intervention.
    I can identify with so much of what you say Liz. I had held God to his promise to repay the years the locusts had eaten, and I believe that is what he is doing. I am trying to pay attention to taking care of myself in different ways, and yes slow learner that's me. But it is God who is my teacher.
    I record answers to prayer, difficulties, Bible verses that come to me, and so on. Well worth while.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment