How to be meek?


When we were little, there was a framed picture over the stairs which you couldn't help seeing every time you went down. It was written in old fashioned language and curly letters where the first letter of each line was red and larger than the others. We didn't really know what it meant and it was one of those things that you were so used to, that you forgot to be curious.

 One day, Dad explained that it was a copy of something called The Beatitudes, was from the bible and gave advice about the best way to live. He said it might not sound as though people like this would lead a better and more fulfilling life but, in his experience, it was true. Then he said he would give us £5 if we learned it by heart. This was a lot of dosh, in 1975.


I don't remember if my brothers tried to memorise it but, sensing money for books and quite a few Sherbert Fountains, I did. I still didn't know what they meant, although Dad did explain them to me. But, in the way that memory verses do, they have often come to mind. And through the years, they have revealed some secrets.

The one I've been thinking about lately is the third one: Blessed are the meek...What does it really mean to be meek? I have looked it up, trying to tease out the meaning. As ever, there is a lot out there but the things that struck me were these: -

  • A meek person is not a weak person
  • Meekness is humility, especially in relation to the patient endurance of offences
  • Meekness implies mercy, quiet strength and self restraint
  • It is not highly valued in society at large
  • Jesus was the epitome of meekness
So what I'm pondering is this: In the upside-down kingdom that we embrace as Christian writers, how can we perform the essential task of promoting our work, while being meek? Putting our work out there and encouraging people to read/buy it, seems at odds with meekness. You could argue that it is not ourselves we are promoting but our writing, but as someone pointed out to me, you are your own brand. Everything you write/say/post anywhere, tells people what your personality, interests, humour, writing are like. At least to some degree, these days you can't really promote your writing without promoting yourself. If you want to generate interest in your books, it's best if you generate some interest in You.

Like many of us, I struggle with this. I want to share my writing with people but I don't want to annoy. I want to explain my work in case people are interested but I don't want to assume. However, I believe I have been given the desire to write, as others have been given the desire to teach/nurse/defend/heal people. All callings/vocations by definition need human beings to interact with. Writers need readers. And if we don't tell people about our writing, no one will read it.

I have learned a lot from watching other ACWers do promotion well, with respect, restraint, honesty and humour. I have also learned how to champion other writers. Not everyone - no one can do that - but those whose words, for some reason, God draws to my attention. The way we encourage each other is, I think, a unique and precious feature of ACW. It is rare, on the Facebook page at least, for someone to share a success or failure without others offering words of celebration, encouragement, support, advice. For me, these are all part of what it means to be meek.

No doubt God will use all our experiences along the writing road - rejections, successes, reviews (good and bad) - to help refine and polish us, if we let him. We will muck up, make mistakes, possibly annoy or offend. We are human after all. But, bound by our twin loves - God and writing - there is grace enough for all.

I got my £5 by the way.

Deborah Jenkins is the author of textbooks, educational articles and a novellaThe Evenness of Things, available in paperback and as a kindle e-book.


Her novel, Braver, will be published on 30 June 2022 by Fairlight Books. You can read more about it, and pre order here or on amazon worldwide. The amazon UK link is here


Deborah wonders aloud about the crazy, inspiring and inappropriate, on her blog, stillwonderinghere.net








 
 



Comments

  1. I remember Sherbet Fountains! Thanks for your wise words, Deborah - as someone who shrivels inside at any thought of self-promotion it's given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really hard one, isn't it? Yes, they were lovely weren't they? Thanks, Fiona 🙂

      Delete
  2. I echo that. And as someone who perhaps needs to rethink the meaning of words and bridles a bit at the idea of meekness, it's good to be reminded that it doesn't mean 'weak!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the definition of meekness Georgie posted below my post on ACW about this? It's really good!

      Delete
  3. That's an excellent exploration of the dilemmas we face as writers and as Christians who write. It's totally relatable. And I love the way you interweave the personal story, too. Like Fiona, I remember Sherbet Fountains too and can easily see how they would have been an incentive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were. Thanks Fran. It's a tricky area and I wish I'd thought about it more before. But I figure as we're all in it together, we can share our wisdom here. That quote Georgie mentioned on FB is fantastic. I might try and post it below.

      Delete
  4. £5? In 1975? Lordy, that's a good incentive. I learned all the books of the New Testament, in order, at around that time for a Girls' Brigade badge and I didn't get a penny for it. I feel I was done. Seriously, though, you've made me think about the word meek. Not weak. That's true, but I had forgotten. It was good to read and inwardly digest the Beatitudes again too. Thank you. A really inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also remember Sherbet Fountains. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. All the books of the NT! You were definitely done!!! Have you still got the badge though? I certainly haven't got the fiver. Thanks a lot, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't seem to copy and paste it but here is the quote Georgie put on FB under my post about this: 'The Greeks called their horses praus or 'meek'. When the horse got to the level of training when it would obey the master (the rider), no matter what was going on, it could be trusted in the heat of battle not to do something stupid or foolish. Once the rider knew he could trust the animal and that it would obey him no matter what, he called it a 'meek' horse even though it might be a powerful, thoroughbred stallion, capable of killing enemies in the battle' I thought that was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! One would never think of a powerful horse being described in that way. Meek is always seen as submissive and maybe even subservient, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. That's what struck me too - meekness being the idea of choosing not to use strength/power, rather than not having any. Really interesting.

      Delete
  8. Hi Deborah, your post rang huge bells for me... because I've just agreed to lead "A debate on trumpet-blowing: should we as Christians seeking humility blow our own book trumpets?' for Bobbie Ann Cole's FAB CHOW on July 11th at 7.30 p.m. It's a topic I've been wrestling with for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds wonderful! How interesting that it is exactly what I have been thinking about too. I will look out for that one. Thanks Dorothy :)

      Delete
  9. Gives pause for thought, doesn't it? Balancing meekness with self-promotion. I like the fact hat meekness doesn't mean what society often think it means though - a doormat for others to walk all over - I love the definition of quiet strength and self-restraint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. It shows that meekness is a choice rather than a personality trait which I find very interesting. Thanks for reading and commenting Katherine :)

      Delete
  10. Was your dad a teacher?Either that or he knew his daughter very well!! We all need incentives to write more, to market more etc. May our Heavenly Father who knows each of us so well,send us the incentive that will make us achieve amazing feats in our writing this 2022!
    As for self promo, if I had or knew all the technical know how, short cuts and whatever ways, I will do so in a BIG way. God said for us not to put our lamp under the table. Talent is not meant to be hidden, right? Well...
    Enjoyed your post. Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this. It's so true, isn't it? I love sharing about other writers, but it's hard to push your own books...! Although I love making nice graphics with my books, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment