Finding Your Bookstore by Kathleen M Smith


Ephesians 5:16 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. 

 

Remembering how much I used to enjoy going to bookstores, especially bookstores with a small café just as you come in the door; I decided to see if I could find a Christian bookstore fifteen or twenty minutes from my home in Surrey. It’s a challenge these days. You hear of so many bookstores closing, and I especially hear of Christian bookstores shutting their doors.  

 

Please understand I am not railing against Amazon, that would be hypocritical of me. In a time of Covid, I am grateful for their delivering items to my door. Online Christian book sites such as Eden? They give an amazing service. It’s just I have this memory of an afternoon, a morning or even a late night store opening where I spent hours reading (yes, buying) books, coffee or tea in hand. 

 

You hear Breakfast TV encouraging us to find our happy place, a place where we can de-stress; but what if that place is gone? What if your favourite Christian bookstore was your happy place and now its shut up shop? Even bringing up this memory of being surrounded by books I might want to read, or a quick in-person chat with another avid reader makes me breathe peacefully.

 

Loving a little research project,  I set myself a challenge to find a bookstore, with a few parameters:


A. Mindful of the environment, I wanted to find a store within a half-hour drive (if I couldn’t use public transport to get there)

B. I wanted the bookstore to identify itself as a Christian bookstore (not just a store with a shelf of Christian books)

C. A cafe would be nice


I finally found one! A real Christian bookstore. It’s not in my village or even in the next town. My home location no longer has a bus service; but this bookstore is only twenty minutes away by car, tucked into a shopping centre in Farnborough. It’s called The Triangle. 


My husband and I decided to have a look.

 

There it was, a small bookshop complete with small café at the entrance. My husband and I sat and enjoyed tea and had a look at books and gifts. More memories came, of times when I was a speaker at bookstore events, when I signed my books and even prayed for customers. I loved those times. 


And then an opportunity came that we could meet Paul Taylor, the manager of The Triangle Bookstore. We talked about bookstores and how it is a ministry to the community, not always a great business plan. Paul has served this ministry for thirty five years. He knows his customers and he knows books. Making the most of this opportunity, I showed him a copy of two of my books for him to consider selling. (He’ll let me know on Thursday). 

 

I know some of our ACW writers are out at bookstores even now, promoting their books but I haven’t been. I just didn’t know where to go. I have now started looking at how I can set aside time to venture out and connect with booksellers. Meeting Paul Taylor, the Triangle Christian Bookstore manager, I was reminded how much I enjoy this teamwork part of writing.  He knows all about ACW and the photo above is of Paul showing me a book published by Instant Apostle, the publisher being an ACW member. 

 

So, while Christian bookstores do seem to be fewer and further from home I look forward to getting to know this one. 

Comments

  1. My local bookshop! I love this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very cosy and pleasant! Good to know there are some of these left... ```9our local one is part of a chain - of Christian bookstores, but it isn't quite the same as they have t o order what they are told to... which limits their ability to stock beyond well-known 'names'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a comforting blog! I am so happy you've found this wonderful place, Kathleen. Long may it prosper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to find a bookstore like this in or near Plymouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognise that book cover! It sounds like a lovely place - so pleased you managed to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an encouraging blog! I love the look of that bookshop. I am going to look for one within half an hour's drive too. Thanks for the challenge 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finding a christian book store, Kathleen. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you found a new happy place, Kathleen. May you make new connections and find new joys there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely! We have one near us, it's so wonderful to see shops like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment