Dripping Taps and Invitations by Emily Owen

 


During a family Christmas get-together, we were all sitting closely in the dining room. A combination of hot food, lots of people, said people talking, meant that the temperature in the room climbed. I felt a drip of water land on my head. Looking up, I realised I was sitting under a pipe, from which the water must have fallen.

I said to my niece, who was sitting beside me, “A drop of water just fell on my head! I must be sitting under a dripping tap.” My sister, from a different table across the room, drily responded, "how apt". My niece asked, “why is it apt?” and so the idiom was explained to her. She thought about it, then turned to me:

“Sometimes you are a dripping tap, because you talk loads, but sometimes you are not, because you don’t say much at all.”

In this blog, I’d like to focus on a short non-dripping-tap phrase found at the beginning of Genesis 12: ‘Go…to the land I will show you.’  

Last week, I was in my local Christian bookshop. I chose a book to give my dad for his birthday, I chose (with the help of a little boy who was keen to help me) a calendar for myself, and I went to pay. As I was waiting, a book behind the checkout caught my eye. I expect many of us recognise the ensuing phenomenon: the book came down from the shelf, all by itself, and ended up in my pile of things to buy.

It was reduced, so I could at least tell myself that it was a bargain.

The book is called ‘A Rabbi Reads the Torah’, and it was on the first page that I learned something new-to-me, despite having read ‘Go…to the land I will show you’ many times before.

I’d previously read those words from God as an instruction to Abram.

Apparently, however, the words carry more strongly the meaning of invitation.

God is inviting Abram to go to the land God will show him.

Would you like to come with Me and see what I have in mind for you, Abram?

We are part way through the first month of 2022. What lies ahead for us in the coming year?

Probably, for most readers of this blog, writing will feature at some point.

‘How great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge!’

Romans 11: 33 NLT

God, who knows all things, knows what 2022 holds for us. He knows if it will find us writing, or editing, or publishing, or journaling…and He knows what the end result will be.

When we sit down, perhaps staring at blank screens, frustrated because inspiration isn’t coming – and, indeed, when the words are flowing – maybe we could remember that we are not alone on the journey. God, who calls us, is there, too. Not saying "Go" as a ‘get on with it’ order (though He sometimes does need to give me a kick up the spiritual backside), but as an invitation.

Would you like to come with Me and see what I have in mind for your writing, for your days, for your life?

Comments

  1. Thanks, Emily - now I've learned something, too. I love the reminder that our journey with God stems from an invitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry, I wasn't signed in. The above comment was me (!). Emily

      Delete
  2. Emily, that's wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Emily for your encouraging words. Loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Ha! Ha! I love the idea that God sometimes gives 'a kick on the spiritual back side' to get us going with the writing!! Thanks for the encouragement and making me gigle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia - glad it gave you a giggle!

      Delete
  5. I'm reading this quite early in the morning and my eyes are bleary. I read the front cover of your bargain book as "A Rabbit Reads the Torah" and was waiting for the punchline. I had to go back and read it again without the rabbit reference and now it makes sense. I'm very reassured that God knows what the end result will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, Ruth! It reminds me of a joke which, being rubbish at telling jokes I shall no doubt get wrong here, so won't try!

      Delete
    2. Next time we meet, I shall look forward to hearing it and I will, in turn, tell you the one about the panda at the bar ordering a vodka and orange

      Delete
  6. That was lovely Emily and so thought provoking, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Like Ruth, I first saw Rabbit as well... Such an encouraging post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment