The Night Before Christmas


 ’Twas the night before Christmas

And all were in bed –

Apart from the writer

Who grumbled and said:

 

“I need inspiration,

But where can I go?

I’ve pondered for hours

And the words just won’t flow.

 

“My deadline is looming

And can’t be delayed –

I wish that an angel

Would come to my aid!”

 


But no blessèd being

Appeared on the scene.

The writer sipped coffee

And stared at her screen.

 



I’m feeling quite peckish,

She thought to herself.

I’m sure there’s some treats

Somewhere up on that shelf.


 The writer munched doughnuts

(With raspberry jam).

She scrolled through her Twitter,

Then checked Instagram.

 

She switched on the telly

And soon got drawn in

To quizzes, and dramas

She’d already seen.

 

And when the shows ended

Her screen was still white.

The writer sipped brandy

To counter her fright.

 


She scratched at her head

And emitted a sigh.

She ate Rudolf’s carrot

AND Santa’s mince pie.

 



Then – long after midnight –

She picked up her pen.

Ideas were sparking

And forming again.

 

Triumphant, she scribbled

A page and a third.

“I’ve done it!” she cried

As she wrote the last word.

 

She signed off her work

With a flick of the wrist,

Then added “For Santa –

This year’s Christmas list.”




Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and writes regularly for Together magazine. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. Absolutely brilliant - really made me smile this Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb! Comic verse is very hard to write and this just sparkled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly formed and deftly delivered. Made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for producing that in such a busy time! Excellent stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. A twist in the tail at the end!! I'm splitting with laughter. What a lovely poem and so true for some of us in this season. Maybe me, lasy week! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely brilliant, Fiona. Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant, Fiona. As my Yorkshire friends might say: "Aye, that'll do, lass. You're a proper caution!". Have a good Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment