CHRISTMAS INSPIRATION

Looking through my files, Christmas and Easter have proved some of the richest inspiration for my writing. I mean, they are big events for a Christian, to put it mildly. But they each also have helpful lead ups for reflection in Advent and Lent.

One of my recurring themes or passions or driving forces – I’m not entirely sure which – is finding links between the Biblical events and modern day experiences. I try to put myself in key characters’ shoes and ask myself, ‘What if that happened now?’ ‘What is the modern equivalent?’ ‘How have things changed or not?’ Essentially, I’m still writing ‘compare and contrast…’ essays from school!

I think it started when I had my children. Sitting pregnant in a carol service following hyperemesis made me consider travelling to Bethlehem in a new light. My mum commented that we would both have insights into Mary’s experience of bearing a firstborn son. And I found myself ‘treasuring these things inn my heart’ just as Mary did, which became treasuring and reflecting on them on paper.

Since then, I’ve written:

·       - A reading for two voices intermingling the gospel account of the nativity with my own experience of pregnancy and birth

·       - A drama sketch of two different women and God compiling their Christmas To Do lists

·       - A descriptive piece on Joseph’s unnoticed role

·       - Various poems, including a comparison of Jesus’ genealogy with mine, mutual experiences of labour, and similar dashed expectations of pregnancy and birth.

·       - A carol called Immanuel that attempts to answer some of the difficult questions about God’s relevance today

·       - A blog series throughout Advent based on our Jesse Tree tradition and ornaments

Some of these have been used in public – the reading in one of my brother’s Christmas Day services; the Joseph piece in an ACW anthology. I probably should be braver and look to hone and publish some of the others.

But I do think Christmas is a time when many people are open to reading and thinking about the Christian story.

So as writers, it’s a time when we can challenge the myths of the tinsellified version that is dominant in the public domain. It’s a time when we can ‘comfort others with the comfort we ourselves have received’ when facing a difficult Christmas, whether that’s because of bereavement or restrictions or loneliness. It’s a time we can hone in on shared human experiences like a new baby in the family or coping with unexpected news or dealing with government diktats. It’s a time we can remind others that the cute baby became a challenging man. It’s a time when we can point to the ongoing relevance of God, to introduce Him to those that don’t know Him, and to make Him accessible to others.

I’d love to know – do you find Advent/Christmas a time of inspiration? And how do you use your writing to make God more alive to others?



Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adults. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/, has two WIPs and more ideas in the pipeline.


Comments

  1. I can really relate to this, Liz. I also love the old compare and contrast pieces. And I really like the sound of your pieces - please do get them out there! I'd love to read them. For me, a lot of my writing is about showing people gently that faith isn't about a list of rules and regulations and a big waggy finger coming out of the clouds. I hope that's how it comes across, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I may put some of my pieces on my blog this year.
      Definitely no waggy fingers in your depictions of God, I would say.

      Delete
  2. Well, I've been following the Visual Commentary on Scripture Advent Calendar ( https://thevcs.org/Advent2021 ) and somewhat rashly set myself the task of writing a sonnet in response to each day's artwork. That's 24 sonnets in 24 days! Got to 14 so far, so I'm still on target, but as Christmas prep hots up, and we're going away this weekend, it may get harder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds amazing, Veronica, I'm so impressed!

      Delete
  3. Helllo Liz! I wish I had such inspiration around the seasons of Advent and Lent. I get distracted with the seasons and look forward to the indulgence and festivities they bring. BUT, your post has consciously dropped something in to my spirit man.I believe I will start first with poems and then short stories and then a full novel centred on Xmas and Easter!! Thanks so much for the awakening your post has done for me. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is incredible, Sophia! I'll look forward to seeing the results of your inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Your pieces sound very interesting Liz and I too love it when writers draw sharp comparisons between biblical stories and our life today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment