All Together Now by Jane Walters

An interesting discussion was had during our last ACW writers’ group meeting. So far as I recall, the discussion didn’t actually relate to the question I had raised, but I let that slide. As we shared our thoughts, I knew it was an obvious topic for a More than Writers blog post, so here we go.

Much has been said, in so many different ways, about the loneliness of the writer’s life: hours spent in isolation with only our thoughts for company, striving to come up with the written goods. But what our group became impassioned about on that Tuesday morning was the idea of collaboration. One of our members has recently completed his doctorate and is embarking on a series of strategic conversations which will take his subject where it is destined to go. He knows, with an obvious certainty, that the only way forward is together.

Many of us writers are introverts and lacking confidence, to boot, which makes us nervous of even showing our work to others sometimes. But what about the idea of creating that work with other people? As a simple example, I’ve recently been involved in my church’s carol service preparations. The pastor had a vision for it which he would be more than capable of producing on his own; but he asked me to write a set of short monologues to be performed by a small team from the congregation. We have both been blessed by working together on this small project. Or how about the recent ACW publication Write Well?* Fifty contributors teamed up to produce a resource that is all the richer for their united effort.

Perhaps you have a brilliant idea for a book but are struggling to get it off the ground. Or maybe you have been working hard on your manuscript, only to be increasingly aware of gaps that you can’t fill. It’s only a suggestion, but maybe it’s pointing towards you finding a co-writer. Think of the successful careers of TV comedy writers and you’ll soon find yourself quoting them in their pairings: Jimmy Perry and David Croft, David Mitchell and Robert Webb, Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin. If you’re already fantasising over your name going first, then maybe this is something you will want to pursue!

I’d love to hear your responses and suggestions. Does the prospect of teaming up terrify you? Excite you? Let me know!

 * contact our publicity officer, Annmarie Miles, to find out how to order your copy – publicity@christianwriters.co.uk


Jane Walters is vice-chair of ACW and the author of Too Soon (Jane Clamp, SPCK). She runs two ACW local groups as well as writing retreats further afield - one of which is taking place next February. Find details at www.janewyattwalters.com

Comments

  1. Good points. The ACW group I'm part of is very outgoing and friendly - and we've already produced a couple of short anthologies. We're trying to get one together for the 50 years celebrations now. Everyone writes something different - two of us write novels, on writes hymns and meditations, two or three are poets, and one is a cartoonist and puppeteer. Oddly, possibly, nobody is afraid of reading out a piece. Though some are not much into submitting, especially the poets. Nearly everyone is over retirement age: maybe this is part of the answer, people are unafraid of negative reactions! Having said that, collaborative working is great fun, as I know from having been involved in producing a couple of plays at church - written as well as performed by members of the congregation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so positive, Claire! I’m really heartened to hear all of that x

      Delete
  2. TV writing is all about collaboration. I think it's great cos by working together on a project you can work at getting it the best it can be without the tunnel vision that comes from working in isolation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree, Katherine. Downton Abbey’s scripts could have done with collaboration, I feel, as the series progressed.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of collaboration. I haven't done it yet - I have been invited to, once, and wanted to so much but didn't have the time. It would be fun and I wouldn't mind my name going second at all! Just saying in case anyone has a burning desire to spend quality time with me talking nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a fantastic idea forwriters to find other writers to compliment those aaspects of their work they themselves can't do. I have been scratching my head about how I can get someone to cowork with me as an ilustrator of my children's book. It's a splendid idea even if it means both writers share the proceeds 50 -50! However, I think the writer's name should go first and the co writer, co anything else can come second. Just my thoughts! God loves collaboration! Lovely post Jane and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia. I pray you find the right person to bring your dream to fulfilment x

      Delete
  5. Great post, Jane. I have quite a few projects that I'd love to work with someone on, especially my work for children. Like, Sophia, I'd love to connect with an illustrator. And for those who like dark humour, and can bring light into the macabre, then Mother would love to meet them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great if you could get that set up, Martin!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this, Jane. I'm not a great team player, but I do nurse a secret ambition to write a collaborative book with Adrian Plass, and I have a couple of ideas, but given his health at the moment (and mine!) it's not a great time to ask him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever mentioned it to him? He might be nursing a secret ambition to collaborate with you!
      I hope your health improves and I join you in praying for Adrian x

      Delete
  7. Such a good post and so true. I have had a fabulous writing partner for years. I would not have continued without her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you write with her, or just receive encouragement, Deborah?

      Delete
  8. Amen to your prayer for me. I hope I am not an introvert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God can do amazing things through us whether we're introvert or extrovert! Amen!

      Delete

Post a Comment