Background Beckons? by Emily Owen

 

A couple of weeks ago, I met with someone on Skype. It was the first time I'd used Skype for video calling and, as I was setting up for the meeting, I somehow managed to change my on-screen background. Rather than the cupboards in my study showing up behind me, it looked as though I was in a rather grand house.

During our conversation, I held up a book I was talking about. The other person in the Skype call said,

“I can’t see it.” I moved a little, but he still couldn’t see it, and he said; “It must be because of the mirror behind you reflecting or something.”

There was no mirror behind me.

Somewhat miraculously for me, I managed to switch off the background, and show him the book.

But the background had prevented him from seeing what was there.

As we approach Christmas and New Year, what is our background? Perhaps frantic rush to get everything ready, perhaps disappointment at changed plans, perhaps regrets, perhaps writing or not-writing, perhaps worries or pressures we carry, perhaps memories or longings…..

Will our backgrounds prevent us from seeing what’s there?

For a child is born to us, a son is given to us.... 

Isaiah 6:9

Jesus is there.

Recently, my 6-year-old niece was looking at my Christmas cards. She read one aloud. The writing said, ‘Happy Christmas, Emily.’

My niece read, with her finger pointing to the words, ‘Happy Christmas….’ *pause* ‘….Aunty Memem.’

She knows other people call me Emily, but to her I am Aunty Memem, and nothing eclipsed that for her.

Whatever our surroundings, or situations  - our backgrounds – look like, may we not allow them to eclipse who Jesus is;

….Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Last week, I was in another video call (where would we be without them?!). This time, for a radio interview. I was away from home, so Zoomed in from my niece’s bedroom. Her wall is covered with pictures, and notes, and lots of other lovely things, but as it was radio, I figured the background didn’t matter. Until the presenter asked if he could record the call, and put it on YouTube.

My first thought was, ‘I should have thought about the background!’

My second was, ‘yes, of course.’

The background wasn’t the main thing about the interview.

Our backgrounds are not the main thing about Christmas. Or indeed any day.

Jesus is here.

The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 

John 1:5


Comments

  1. A fab reminder - to check our backgrounds! Both on video calls, and as we approach Christmas. Hope yours is filled with wonder and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful post. Enjoyed your zoom and skype experiences. Hilarious. It is comforting to know and be reminded that Lord Jesus does not care about our backgrounds on any day. His presence is always with us! Lovely Emily or should I say,' Aunty Memem'!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment