CHRISTMAS MORNING by Joy Margetts

 It didn't register when I agreed to post on the 25th of each month, that I would have the joy of being the one to wish you all a Happy and Blessed Christmas Morning!

I guess reading a blog post is going to be the last thing on many people's minds today, and I might even forget to post the links on Social Media myself. So I am going to keep it short and simple.

A few years ago I unexpectedly woke up very early on Christmas morning. Earlier than the children even, although they were teenagers by this point so perhaps not so unusual. It was still dark, and I was glad of the few moments to sit and think and meditate. It would be all excitement and busyness soon enough, with stockings and gifts, and ham and eggs for breakfast, and the turkey to be put on for roasting, and church to attend. I turned to John 1, which is actually one of my favourite Christmas readings, and read it afresh.


I had been going through a difficult time, and yet somehow I knew in those few quiet moments that everything was going to be OK. Because of Christmas. Because of Jesus, the Word made flesh, and what His coming meant.

 I was inspired to write what follows.  I am no poet, but I hope it blesses you to read it today.

Christmas Morning

Thank You for Jesus.

Thank You for Your most expensive present to us,

Gift-wrapped in swaddling clothes.

 

Thank You for light to our darkness,

Your Word in the silence.

 

Thank You for the overnight wonder

Of waking to know, 

That all is right, 

Peace has come,

Goodwill to all men.

 

Thank You for Hope restored,

                                Promises fulfilled,

                                And joy ignited.

 

Thank You for Jesus.

 

Thank You that You did not hold back,

Knowing what we needed, not what was on our want list,

Giving us our hearts desire, before we knew that He was.

 

Thank You for heaven’s celebration,

And for earth’s reply,

Glory to God in the Highest

Heaven has come to men.

 

Thank You God, for Jesus,

Thank You for Christmas.



Joy Margetts has loved writing for as long as she can remember. A retired nurse, mother of two, and a new grandparent, she also has a lifelong interest in history, and loves the Word of God. She makes her home on the beautiful North Wales coast.

Her debut novel 'The Healing', a work of Christian historical fiction, was published by Instant Apostle on 19 March 2021. Joy has also self published a short novella, 'The Beloved' as both a companion to 'The Healing', and as an easy to read standalone story, which is available on Amazon Kindle. Her second full length novel 'The Pilgrim' is due for publication by Instant Apostle in July 2022

More information on Joy and her writing, and her personal blog, can be found here www.joymargetts.com

Comments

  1. Thank you Joy for this lovely blog. I had the privilege of the Christmas Day slot for the last few years - so it’s good to have passed on the baton to someone who also appreciates this special opportunity. Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. It is a privilege but I also felt the weight of it. But I LOVE Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Joy. I'm reading this a day late. But that's my favourite Christmas Bible reading too. I can never quite get past "The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has never overcome/understood/put it out." Such hope and anchoring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lovely poem and thanks for that powerful scripture from John! Well ,Looks like you would always wish us a merry xmas each year.Hope you had a blazing xmas with your family. Inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading this very late, Joy (I've been hibernating) but this is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment