Write The Vision

 

Write the vision, make it clear....from Habakkuk 2:2

Strolling around in the antique/junk shop, I suddenly stopped in front of a painting on the wall. Actually, I froze. Couldn’t move for the life of me. You see a photo of that painting which is a print (alas) in this post. 

In the moments I stood before the painting/print I stared at the chairs, silent around an outdoor table. My spirit began to listen, really listen as I could hear the whisper of my Shepherd. 

“Each chair has a name, each chair an invitation.”

I began to name members of my family, quickly realising there weren’t enough chairs yet this could be the start of family communion. There was the wine, and the bread. There were the places ready for those confident enough to come, to begin or continue conversations. I knew in my knower that this art pictured my purpose. It gave me a vision. For life. For writing.

My sudden realisation of a vision wasn’t to draw or paint (heaven help us), but to pray and write those invitations for each member of my family to come to the table. I could decorate with a centrepiece, a table cloth, oh the food we could cook! 

Then the Holy Spirit gently reminded me it was His table. 

This would be a challenge. You see, some people in my family don’t wish to talk to each other, not to mention to sit down and pass the wine. Some would argue that wine was a sin, but to my mind the sin was in the not talking, the not sending or in the decline of the invitation.

I pictured Jesus in the Garden of Gesemane.  I prayed, “Jesus, just as you prayed the words ‘Father I’ve not lost any that you have given me;’ may every member of my family accept Your invitation. The invitation of the King, to His table.” I knew my purpose was to eventually write about gathering together and flourishing forward; as well as to keep praying, keep working towards wider, 21st century family restoration though the devil would do his worst.

I hadn’t realised how long I stood in front of that painting, not moving; until one of the sweet ladies who ran the charity shop came up to me. “Did you know all the art work is on sale? Half price today.” 

Bless her heart, that lovely lady knew when a painting needed to go home with somebody. 

It was later that I learned it was a print by an artist named Piet Bekaert, a Belgian artist who entitled this scene as “Conversation between Silence and Confidence.” It’s on my wall now.


Kathleen is the author of “Beyond Broken Families,” as well as “Parents on the Move! ( really for anyone moving anywhere at any stage of life) and “The Miracles of Pierrepont.” Her new thing is to hold zoom classes for “beyond Broken families,” that are similar to her previous live sessions in the States and UK. She has a Master’s degree from Southampton University in Social Policy, and Certificate in Theology/Chaplaincy from Spurgeon College, London. 


Comments

  1. What a fantastic Holy Spirit moment and lesson - and I'm so delighted you got to take it home as a reminder of that lifetime prayer. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This set me thinking about broken families. Perhaps each of us should never think that the view we hold is the only one that is that right or the only one God accepts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very moving, and thank you for sharing. It is sad when families are like that - my mother and her sister appeared to me, as a teenager, to've broken with their brother - I never knew why though I had an idea where it began. Too many families break. I'm so grateful our 3 adult children all get along, but sad they don't "know" the Lord - common among their generation. A very insightful painting, which really 'spoke' to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, spirit-filled piece Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful story and analogy. I love how you write of God speaking to us gently. The little prod when we want to decorate the table ourselves, the beauty of that table always set, always waiting, ready with the meal; a seat for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful story. Very inspiring read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was both beautiful and moving. Thank you, Kathleen! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment