Where do you go to, my lovely? Ten remedies for the writing blues, by Deborah Jenkins

 What do you do when you're frustrated about writing or life? Do you have certain places you go to? Are there a number of things you do? What helps?

There are peculiar and unique things we writers face from time to time - writers' block, writers' back, edits, query letters, research, rejections, rewrites, to name a few. Then there are the things many people put up with - document loss, laptop death, internet issues, chocolate lack. Then there is just life - family worries, job stress, health. You know how it goes...

Last week, I was walking in the nature reserve behind our house, one of my go-to places when things get sticky. It was a pastel coloured day. Naked trees punched holes in a sky hung with snow. A walkway curved ahead. The air had that smoky smell that comes from mud and wood and dying things. It was cold.


Yet, it was soothing to smell the air, hear birds, feel the regular thud of my walking boots on wood. These things help me to settle restless emotions and obsessive thoughts. It's as if they release me. I am able to see the bigger picture and put things in better perspective. A line from a song shot into my head, 'Where do you go to, my lovely?' This is one of the places I go.

It got me thinking about writing problems in particular. Where do we go when things go wrong for us? What do we do? Here are some of the things that help me. Please add to the list in the comments below. You may do something the rest of us have never thought of...


  • A walk where you watch the natural world very carefully and whisper observations in your head (moving leaves, pastel sky, bird...) Otherwise, if you're like me, your mind goes back to its troubles
  • Encourage another writer. When I feel despondent about my own writing, it helps me to turn those feelings outwards. Who could do with a positive comment on a post, or a share? Who could I send a personal message to? How could I express interest in someone's writing? The positive responses that come back always make me feel better
  • Gather a few close writer friends into a small network or two. Tell them you're struggling and share why. A problem shared is...a smaller problem
  • Give yourself some slack. It's a difficult world to be part of, this writing life, and we can be notoriously hard on ourselves. Read for a bit, bake something, listen to a cracking programme on BBC Sounds, get your Spring pots ready - whatever you like to do. Distance from your writing problem always helps.
  • Read any reviews/positive comments/other feedback you've had about your writing. They will remind you that others appreciate your work and this will encourage you to keep going
  • Try a little cleaning or ironing. This will remind you that however bad the writing life gets, it's better than this ;)
  • Read a few well known writers' bios to find commonality with other greats! E.g. Mary Wesley had her first novel published at 70, Dr Seuss had his first book rejected 27 times, Walt Disney was told he lacked imagination
  • Watch a film to inspire you about writing. If you can't think of one, you could read my post from May 2019 for some ideas
  • Choose a character from a favourite book and speak like them to your family and friends for a few hours. Just cos it's fun ('My only love sprung from my only hate. Tis early to cook but I don't want to eat late'. Juliet)
  • Find an inspirational quote and rewrite it: If at first you don't succeed, lie on the floor and eat raspberries (I actually did this the other day and it was strangely therapeutic looking at artex from a different angle. N.B.....and blow raspberries would also work here.
Best of all, remind God you feel He has called you to write. Ask Him to encourage you. Then keep your eyes peeled for answers. The next day I received a lovely email about my writing but  (unbelievably) it wasn't until the day after, that I remembered my prayer.


" I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.' Jeremiah 29:11, The Message

So, where do you go to, my lovely? 

Click on the link to see the novella on amazon

Deborah Jenkins is a primary school teacher and freelance writer who has written articles, text books, devotional notes and short stories. She writes regularly for the tes. She has also completed a novella, The Evenness of Things, available as an Amazon e-book. She is currently seeking a publisher for her recently finished novel, Braver, and for three children's stories. Deborah loves hats, trees and small children. After years overseas with her family, who are now grown up, she lives in Sussex with her husband, a Baptist minister, and a cat called Oliver

Comments

  1. What a fabulous post, Deb's. All wonderful ideas and you've inspired me to take a walk first thing this morning! I'll also have Christy Moore worming in my ear today!!!! Miss you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Mate. I miss you! When will I see you again?! Thanks for the comment and wrap up when you go out! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely encouragenent. I often feel so despondent about this whole writing and promo scene. I will pray that prayer and encourage others and hope for new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, You're not alone. We so feel like that at times, I think. I hope some of things help you in the same way they help me x

      Delete
  4. Really great ideas! Another one is to read something from a book about writing, or a writers' magazine. That always makes me feel writerey again. I love your new take on Juliet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Thanks! Yes, that is such a good idea. I know you have several books you would recommend. Any chance of posting the titles here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely 'Writing Down the Bones' by Natalie Goldberg, 'Writing Tools' by Roy Peter Clark, and 'How Not to Write a Novel' by Newman and Mittelmark.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fran! Take note, People!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this encouragement - timely and very much needed by many

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you think so, Wendy :) Thank you.

      Delete
  7. "Naked trees punched holes in a sky hung with snow." Your writing! Honestly, no-one else I know writes like this. So so beautiful and evocative xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means a lot, Ruth :) xxx

      Delete
    2. I totally agree, Ruth. I loved that line! I want to know more about your book, Deborah and how I can best pray for it to be released into the world. You know how much I loved your novella x

      Delete
  8. You're so lucky to have a nature reserve at the back of your house! Here in London I only have a scrubby recreation ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, I hear you. That's all I had for many years until we moved out of London. I remember trying to focus on things like buttercups growing through cracks in the pavement. Not that there are a lot of those around at the moment!

      Delete
  9. Love this, Deborah. We all need these cheerful and hopeful ideas at the moment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Sheila. Thanks for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  10. When you can't access the nature reserve, (we don't dare, too many runners puffing out breathe), take a minute or more to walk around finding photo opportunities in your garden. Or simply out of the window... I photographed the dawn coming up today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Clare. You post such lovely photos of too :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful writing and photographs, Deborah. My hint is if you don't feel like writing, do it anyway. This week I did just that for a blog post and had an encouraging comment when it was published this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that can really work too, Susan. Thank you. I will look out for that post!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for reading it and commenting, Deborah!

      Delete
    3. You are so welcome Susan. I really enjoyed the piece :)

      Delete
  12. I related to your post and the need to go marching off into the countryside, or as close to nature as one can get. I'm also blessed with a lots of beautiful places around. They are my sanity too. I used to live at the bottom of a huge hill with a staircase meandering to the top and it was always wonderful to go up there and look down on the little roof, of the small flat, where the even smaller me with a tiny head full of concerns sometimes sat... this used to make me laugh at my warped perspectives!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment