10,000 Hours

 


I once read it takes 10,000 hours of practise to become an expert*. I look at that sentence and am encouraged. It means it is possible. It means don’t give up.

Fifteen years ago, just after my daughter’s birth, I began to script a story; sifting and sorting through characters, plots and scenes that I had dabbled with for years. I wrote a 64,000-word children’s novel and sent it to five publishers. I received two polite ‘thank you but no’ letters, one pre-printed rejection card, and nothing at all from one publisher (I later learned, to my embarrassment, I had misspelled the editor’s name!) But I did receive one very encouraging letter from an editor at Andersen Press who gave me detailed advice and encouragement. 

Then, my baby daughter became very ill, with life-changing consequences, and I was catapulted onto a very different path. Writing became a lifeline through journaling as I tried to make sense of my now shattered plans. 

Back on course, (different direction) I had another baby and embarked on a return to teaching course. However, the story writing itch just wouldn’t go away and whenever I got the chance I worked on my novel. Encouraged by a dear ACW friend, I sent the manuscript to a small publisher who was interested but said it required a rewrite. 

Yes, these are my little monkeys 8 years ago 
So, in-between mum and teaching duties (my daughter must have been around seven and my son four), I started afresh and excitedly sent the finished copy to the same publisher and waited. Some months later, the publisher responded that despite enjoying the novel, her readers suggested additional changes and it would need further rewriting before publication. It was a blow. I started to have many doubts about myself, surely this sort of thing doesn’t happen to real writers?




However, she saw potential and suggested she mentor me for the price of a lunch. I jumped at the chance and over the next year or so travelled to Bristol once per month to work with her for a few hours. This was a time for honing and practising my skills, I learned so much and gained a good friend into the bargain. Once again, my mentor publisher sent the completed manuscript to her reader. After another long wait, the answer came back. Sorry, it’s still not ready. You will need to rewrite the whole novel again and by the way, the ending doesn’t work!

I can almost hear some of you shouting at me, for goodness sake Nikki, give it a rest! Writing’s not for you! You’re too busy with your demanding family and your job!

My mentor advised me to take a year off and perhaps write something else. I wrote a short story and won first prize in an ACW competition, I had a short story published in the Christmas Anthology and it was about that time I started writing a monthly blog post for ACW. I also moved house twice, settled the kids into new schools, clubs. Then I began the task of completely rewriting my novel (Is this the fourth or fifth time? – I forget!)

Now, the rewrite is complete, save for the last few chapters of editing and since my mentor friend has moved back to Australia, my next task is to find an agent and/or publisher. No doubt, I’ll have to make more changes and perhaps even rewrite (Argh! I’m trying not to think about that!) 

I repeatedly fight the thought that when I die, the words “She tried” will be carved upon my gravestone but not for a minute do I regret any of this. I have gained so much. 

There is a point to me sharing this delightful tale with you. Writer friends, I cannot stress enough, if you are passionate about writing don’t give up! Never give up!  As you travel the writers’ road, you will gain confidence, you will develop, you will hone and improve.

I love writing, never get bored with it and, come to think of it, I must be bloomin’ close to that 10,000 hours by now!!


*There has been much discussion about this statement and later, author Malcolm Gladwell clarified he meant simply, a lot of time on top of natural ability is required. 


Comments

  1. Goodness, dedication, Nikki! Is any of the original idea present in the story as it is now? Has it had to 'move with the times'? Publishing definitely has trends - even while we the readers may enjoy books published years ago, as we all know. You have true grit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's true, it certainly has moved with the times as have I!!

      Delete
  2. Nikki, your persistence and determination are inspirational. What a story and what a testimony to God's faithfulness in keeping yours and His dreams alive. Thank you for sharing. Thinking of you as you move onto the next step with this, confident that He who began this good work in you, will carry it on to completion...xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debs. You are such an encouraging person. I really appreciate you. Nxx

      Delete
  3. On the contrary, I think everyone would be shouting, 'For goodness' sake, don't give up, Nikki! Don't give up!' But you've worked that one out for yourself. For the vast majority of us, we're in this for the long haul, and have a similar testimony spanning years, so we're with you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran and it's people like you who keep me going! You are the inspiration!

      Delete
  4. An inspiring read. You highlight a third quality needed besides all those hours and a certain ability, and that's determination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly true, Veronica. To be honest, I often think determination is often more important that talent. Im sure there are some excellent writers out there who have fallen at the first hurdle!

      Delete
  5. Ever since I had the pleasure and privilege of reading an early draft of your book, Nikki, I've been hoping and praying that Pidge and Mortaldis (are they still called that?) will reach the world's bookshelves....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Philip! I really appreciate the prayers. You are the dear ACW friend, I mentioned in the post, who encouraged me to send the early draft to the publisher. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I love the fact that the publisher took the time to mentor you for practically free. That's not to be sniffed at. I'm sure you'll break in eventually - it's probably just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Nikki, your determination is awe-inspiring! It's so hard to keep going sometimes, but I'm so glad you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you too! Look at you now. I read your 'very long' blog post about your own experiences and that inspired me to write this! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Really? That's great! Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Nikki, well done! Keep digging deep. It's all in there to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blooming brilliant, Nikki!!! This alone is gripping enough let alone your book. I love the way you ended your post too. I feel my post is mere piffle after reading this tale of adversity and tenacity. I'd love to pray for your book to be born so please do let me know when you can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts are never piffle, Martin Horton!! I love reading your posts. Yes, please do pray for my books. I have two more in the pipeline as part of the series. God is in it. To be honest, if He wasn't I'd have given up years ago!

      Delete
    2. How I Got My Ex Husband Back. Am so excited, All Thanks goes to Dr Prince i was married to my husband, and we were living fine and happy. it come to an extend that my husband that use to love and care for me, doesn't have my time again, until i fined at that he was having an affair with another woman, I tried to stop him all my effort was in-vain suddenly he divorce me and went for the woman. he live me with two of our kids, I cried all day, I was in pains, sorrow and looking for help. I read a comment on how Dr Prince helped a lady to brought her husband back, after 2yrs , He helped people with his Magic spell love and reuniting spell. so I decided to contact him and explain my problems to him, he did a love spell that made my husband to come back to me and never think of the woman. this man is God sent to restore heart break and reunite relationship. may the lord be your strength and continue to use you to save people relationship and any problems contact him for help on princemagicspell@yahoo.com You can also contact him through his WhatsApp +19492293867. Contact him now for love spell to bring back your ex lover he is the best spell caster and he is the best solution to all relationship problems…

      Delete
  10. Such perseverance and resilience. That is inspiring. Well done you. I want to read it! 100,000 hours eh? I can't even work out how long that it! I used a calculator and I think it is 11 and a half years of 24/7. That's dedication - I won't give up, but I don't think I'll be an expert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment