Learning to use your own voice by Claire Musters


As the marriage book I have written with my husband has gone off to the printers this week, it got me reminiscing about my writing journey. I think one of the biggest things I (and we all) have to face is finding our own particular voice.

I can remember when I was writing Taking Off the Mask, I was told by a couple of people (including an ACW member and Jeff Lucas, who had both kindly agreed to read draft chapters) that there were definitely parts that just didn’t sound like me so they needed to be rewritten.



I was devastated. I was doing a lot of book editing alongside my writing, and there was one particular author whose style I really admired – and wanted to emulate. I thought picking up tips from others was a great way of developing my own style, but sadly it seems I ended up coming across as someone other than myself.

 

I know that writing is a craft, and that we do need to take time to hone it. However, I have also learned that comparing myself with others, or trying to write like others do, only ends in despair. There are many among our number who I admire, and I long to be able to create the poetic sentences that hang so beautifully in their work. But, when I begin to write, the words begin to flow – just in a different way. And I have learned to be content with that.

 

I am reminded of our Christian Writer magazine editor James Prescott, who is passionate about helping people find their authentic calling and using their true voice in their work. If you are struggling with understanding your own voice I know he offers coaching in this very area – do drop him an email at either james@jamesprescott.co.uk or jamespressgang@hotmail.com if you’d like to find out more.

 

Can I encourage you today, whatever form your writing takes, to be as authentically you as you possibly can? The world doesn’t need twenty CS Lewises or JK Rowlings – just as in every area of life, people will be drawn most to your words if you are honest and true.


Claire Musters is a writer, speaker and author of several books. Together, Steve and Claire lead their local church and are passionate about facilitating open and honest conversations and helping people fulfil their potential in Christ. Grace-Filled Marriage by Claire and Steve Musters will be published by Authentic Media on 7 May. Find out more at www.clairemusters.com

Comments

  1. Very wise post, Claire. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I agree, finding a unique voice is not only key but crucial. It may contain hints of others but authenticity only comes form being uniquely you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really good advice, Claire. I do find it really helpful to read other people's books and pick up techniques and methods but in the end the 'voice' has to be yours. It gave me confidence when someone said to me it didn't matter whether I thought I'd written something funny or something tragic, they knew it was me! I took it as a compliment and didn't push them further, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true, Claire. In one of my units for my University course I am attempting to write a memoir of my life. I keep being pointed to other authors and told my style is a little journalistic. Maybe it is, but I seem to write this way and can't find another. It must be my voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a hard thing to take on board, when you first start writing, but so true. Thank you Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this - so simple but true. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm greatly encouraged to read this today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment