Easy, cheap recipes

 


  "Go, eat your food with gladness
 and drink your wine with joyful heart,
                     for it is now
        that God favours what you do
."

                   Ecclesiastes 9:7 


Finally, last Sunday I launched Week 1 of the new 'Food for Thought' series.  This time to feed the body as opposed to the mind.  However, I hadn't realised Pancake Day came in the midst of that so I brought forward Recipe 36 which is Savoury Pancakes.  The mixture is so cheap to make and I can make ten pancakes in my 12" frying pan cost about 40p, add the juice of a fresh lemon and sugar about 5p each and yummie! So much so that I've been making them since April after Sunday's online church, so must by now have made 400!  

The picture above is those, but with a different filling to Recipe 36, where different leftovers were used.  For these I used two portions leftover portions of my spaghetti bolognese retrieved from the freezer, and added cooked celery and parsnips which I mashed to make them feed 4. As a child bought up after the war I have this 'waste not, want not, mentality. I've also remembered recipes I haven't cooked in years, and intend to add a few sweet ones at the end.  

I typed up Menu's for five weeks, with 40 different recipes, and each week will be typing up the shopping list and recipes for the following one.  I keep checking my figures, but my brain isn't as good as it used to be, and hopefully I haven't left out any vital ingredient.  If you do visit the site, you try any of the recipes I would love to have your feedback at food@emamuel-publishing.com.  As hoped Recipe 6 with the 13p base was published in Week 1 and thought to my fellow bloggers you might enjoy Brian's Coleslaw Recipe below which makes 8 full ports at 9p each or 16 half portions served with salad.   It would seem every day cost per person is coming in under just under £2.00 a day rather than the £3.00 I envisaged.

Ingredients:   70p

1/3rd of White cabbage                   (15p)

½ bag of carrots                               (22p)

1 Red Onion                                      (10p)

½ carton of Greek yoghurt              (23p)

3 tbls Salad Cream                            (5p) 

Optional:

50 grams of sultanas                      (10p)

Apple cut into cubes                       (15p)

 

Method:

1. Cut a 1/3 or the cabbage, and again in half and slice thinly.

2. Peel carrots, grate if possible or peel in thin slivers

3. Slice red onion in half and cut thinly

4. Add half a carton of yoghurt and 3 tablespoons of Salad Cream

5. Mix until all ingredients fully coated.

 

Tip 1:  Store leftovers in airtight container.  After a couple of days there will be juices at the bottom which are delicious, restir.  Or separate off, add yoghurt and use as a salad dressing.  

 

Tip 2:  This is so cheap and nutrition you could add a half portion to every salad. 

 

Tip 3:  A half portion of coleslaw in a sandwich with a little grated cheese is delicious.

 

Tip 4:  For a change at lunch try this coleslaw in pitta bread with tiny lumps of cheese, especially good if you include the apple and/or sultanas. 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I think I read this too early in the morning! Some lovely recipes to try later, though. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nearly breakfast time here, so my tummy is rumbling. Mmm pancakes - never got round to making them this year. A tasty treat first thing, thank you Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I. Possibly a case of too many cooks not spoiling the broth, but confusing the menus.

      Delete
  3. I must admit I really enjoyed my pancakes on Tuesday and thought I should make them more often. You've persuaded me now to try a savoury filling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have shaken up the taste buds and hope Sharon you enjoy making your own savoury filling, mine on this occasion was 2 portions of spaghetti bolognese that had not been eaten on a previous occasion and I just cooked a couple of celery long celery sticks and the one parnship I had over mashed them and added to the already tomato, garlic and mushroom mix around mince, which became ideal for filling and very tasty. And do enjoy the coleslaw I think you will all love it as we do. Thanks for commenting and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to go to a Pancake house in Piccadilly when our kids were young. The pancakes were humungous, and you could have savoury or sweet. I love savoury pancakes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment