Things I've recently learned about writing

 

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED RECENTLY ABOUT WRITING…

 

1. I feel more like a writer when I am actually writing. Like a footballer who plays. Instead of watching it on the TV and talking about it later down the pub.


 

2. Having a list of deadlines, however insignificant, is a great confidence boost. Other people want my writing!

 

3. Having a list of deadlines, however insignificant, is a massive pressure. Other people want my writing when I’d rather be sitting around eating crisps. (Note to self, refer to point 1. And 2.)

 

4. Showing my fledgling novel to other people for their opinions is both scary and exhilarating. Will they like it? Will they fall on it like a pack of ravenous literary wolves and shred it to pieces? Will they forget I asked them to read it in the first place?

 

5. Breaking a harder task down into bite-sized chunks is sensible, realistic and quantifiable.

 

6. Breaking a harder task down into bite-sized chunks serves to show how many said chunks there are. (Note to self: stop eating crisps and get an appetite for chunks.)

 

7. Learning to use a standing desk next to an open window releases creative ideas better than when sitting. Winston Churchill was right!

 

8.  Learning to use a standing desk next to an open window means that my coffee goes cold while I’m staring at a neighbour having a cigarette in his garden. (The view from Chartwell was probably different.)

 

9. My best ideas come when I am nowhere near anything to record them with. This is not fresh revelation. I’m just realising it will ever be thus.

 

10. Mindlessly scrolling through Facebook can result in finding an absolute gem of an idea that carries my writing forwards.

 

11. Mindlessly scrolling through Facebook means I have lost at least 3 days already this week.

 

12. When choosing a title for a book, don’t misremember what you decided then have hours of agony about which version is better.

 

13. When researching into the characteristics of psychopaths, don’t get side-tracked by thinking of everyone you’ve ever met that shows the merest hint of such tendencies. It leads to thinking the whole world is mad. When it’s probably just me…

 

14. Chocolate helps. Always. No question.

 

What have you learned lately?



Jane Walters is vice-chair of ACW and runs two ACW affiliated writing groups in Norfolk. She is currently re-writing her latest novel ready for the next steps towards publication. She is represented by Intersaga literary agency.

Comments

  1. Brilliant, Jane! My favourites are Numbers 2 and 3 but I love them all. What have I learned? You have to be good at waiting... Thanks for this. You sparkle on the page ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Jane. Yes, deadlines do help. I have to produce an article for an online magazine every two months, keeps the ideas going. Also tweeting for the ACW and producing this blog does the same. Yes, 9, great ideas at night, why is there never a pad and pen available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear there are people enjoying your writing, Sheila.

      Delete
  3. Agree, agree, agree! What else have I learned (and re-learned, and re-learned)? You don't need a fortnight set aside in order to write and that 's just as well because it NEVER comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek, I’ve just aside the whole of February. Are you saying it won’t happen?!?!

      Delete
    2. I stand corrected! It DOES come!

      Delete
  4. Haha love this! I have learned (the hard way) to keep off Facebook. But I use Ulysses so can jot down an idea on my phone when it occurs, but admittedly I don’t have my phone with me in the shower which is where I get my best ideas of course...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just what I needed to read, Jane! Hilarious!!! And Churchill had people to do the laundry and clean the house. That's got to make a difference, surely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed so much! Love this, Janey. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and chuckling my way through this - and such wisdom! Thank you for making me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment